MR-1 Power Requirements

20A dedicated to the spindle should not trip. Maybe a bad breaker, wiring or bad spindle. I’ve completely stalled mine a couple times and never tripped the breaker.

1 Like

I’ll go get a new breaker and try it. If I damaged the spindle during break in by it tripping then it’s too late now anyway.

This has already been cover in this thread.

3 Likes

Do you have a clamp on the amp meter?
Take the front cover off your panel and clamp it to each leg while the spindle runs. It should be around 15 amp on each leg. Like Bill A said, it could be a weak or old breaker. Hopefully, it is a 10 ga wire, so you can upsize the breaker if required to 30 amp. That will give you a little cushion.
Also, make sure you have the correct voltage while it’s running. If the voltage is under the specs, the amp draw will increase.
Like Bill said make sure your spindle is turning smoothly. You wouldn’t be the first to get a bearing housing that puts too much preload on the bearings.
I know that’s the last thing you want to hear.

1 Like

If that ground fault is still tripping, you need a new electrician. I didn’t read back far enough to pick that up. Get a electrician to take the GFCI out of the panel.

No clamp on amp meter, could possibly borrow one from work. I did have the machine on a 20ft 30amp extension cord when it tripped. Assembled most of the machine in the middle of the garage before moving it to the corner. Could the extension cord be the problem, I wouldn’t think so considering the spindle had zero load on it other than the bearing break-in. The spindle sounded good while it was running and I can turn it by hand when the machine is off. Picture of receptacle below. Not an electrician. Ground wire is small? Install was done by licensed electrician at the same time as some HVAC work in my house. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Grounds ok. The extension cord, unless it is a real heavy one, is a bad idea. See if there is any markin on the red or black wire that tell the gauge. If it is 10 GA you can increase the breaker size to 30. If it is 12 you are stuck with 20 amps.

1 Like

It’s a heavy extension cord. 30amp rated and feels legit that I run my air compressor on (never trips the breaker). Not the intended long term use either though, I’ll plug the machine straight into the outlet today and try to run the spindle break-in again (tee it high and let it fly right?) if it trips again then I’ll go at the breaker or worse. Thanks!

I would check the amp draw first. Then I would go to Home Depot and throw that GFCI in the trash—just my opinion.

3 Likes

I swapped out the GFI breaker for a traditional one and all seems to be fine. I also had a comment from Langmuir support that others have had trouble with GFI breakers. Posting this here for others that might find the thread.

2 Likes

GFCI doesn’t play nice with 240 AC motors. And Arc fault protection breakers don’t like any kind of AC motor.

1 Like

Glad its working now for you.