MR-1 Power Requirements

The 1/4 ga coolant pump should only draw 4-5A max. The PC and monitor should only draw 3-5A or so and the spindle around 12A. The only unknown is the controller, but even if it’s 14A it wouldn’t be constant like the other loads. It might touch close to 35-38A occasionally, but doubtful. I actually have a 50A in there, not a 40.

2 Likes

Here’s a couple of slides I made for my YouTube video.
(Visual for standard wiring)

(

Visual for wiring with transformer)

All my 120s are on 20 amp breakers so I am likely putting my PC and coolant pump on the same circuit. Will run spindle off the 240 and the controller/macine off the spare 120

1 Like

What is the correct 240 VAC 20 AMP Receptacle to use? L6-20R or 6-20R? This type detailed information would be nice to get from the machine builder. My goal is to have my basement subpanel, wiring, receptacles and walls completed before my machine is delivered. I’ve purchased all these items and started the work.

Use a 30amp plug and recep. Run #10 wire at least. I would use #8 and run 30 amp breaker. Don’t want that circuit tripping on machine halfway through a project. Don’t worry that 30 amp will trip if theres a problem. No need to run a neutral wire unless you have plans to use it for other things later.

Are you saying the Spec of 220v and 20 amp is wrong? Machine spindle will trip the breaker? Subpanel is already in and #12 wire has been pulled. My question was which receptacle.
Please adivse.

I think he’s just saying in his case he ran and oversized circuit and breaker. And in case of a motor dead short it would still Trip the 30amp breaker.

You only ran a number 12 wire to your whole sub panel? What circuits are coming off this panel besides the 20 amp 220 spindle circuit?

Or are you saying you ran number 12 from your sub panel to your 20 amp 220 receptacle?

1 Like

60 amp breaker #6 wire feeding the new sub panel. New Sub panel contains 1 220v 20 amp breaker with #12 wire to the 220v 20amp receptacle, 3 110v 15 amp breakers with #14 to the 3 120v 15amp receptacles.

2 Likes

Sounds like you are good Greendhg, you have exactly what they call for in the specs. A lot of us oversize the wiring for future upgrades but it is not necessary.

I need some more clarification. Do the breakers need to be in a separate subpanel to prevent ground loops? Thanks.

No they don’t.

Got my electrical and air all done, now just have to wait until October to fill in the sad empty space.

7 Likes

Could you use something like this to provide the power to the spindle servo and the pump? Just wondering because I have a 30 amp service and I believe the pump and the servos should not draw more then 18 amps total? The computer will be on its own circuit. I already put my order in expecting it in Oct. Literally building an area for it. It’s not compatible I saw a trip light with it need to find it again for 1100 dollars.

Updated photos of my work area.

1 Like

This was early in the building process.

2 Likes

I feel like I read somewhere that GFCI outlets were NOT recommended by Langmuir but I can’t find that info anymore. The issue I have is that GFCI outlets are required in my garage according to code. I have an inspector coming to ensure that I don’t burn my house down with the subpanel and additional branch circuits I am installing and I know he will want them to be GFCI. Anyone running on GFCI protected outlets with any issues?

I have GFCI outlets for all the 120 volt equipment supplied with the MR1, this includes the touch screen, mini computer, control box and coolant pump. No issues so far. Been up and running since March.

1 Like

Nice, thanks for the reply. I will also have a GFCI breaker for the 240 v spindle. I wonder if there will be any issues there?

Can’t provide an answer to that, as I have standard breakers for the 240 outlets in my shop.

I have a 20amp breaker on my 240v plug. It tripped during the break in program (still waiting to hear action from langmuir for that). Got to pull the panel and check the wire size to see if I can upgrade the breaker. Word to the wise, don’t assume a 20amp breaker will hold up.