MR-1 Power Requirements

I have a question about the power requirements for the full setup with the coolant pump etc. It says in the specs on the site that I pasted below that it needs 1 120v outlet for the control box, 3 for the PC and monitor, and 3 for the coolant pump. Will all those be needed, or is one for the controller with it’s own breaker, two for the PC/monitor on their own breaker, and two for the coolant pump on their own breaker be sufficient? If not, what are the other outlets for?
* Power Requirements

• MACHINE

(1) 120VAC OUTLET, 15A MIN, 1 DEDICATED BREAKER

• SPINDLE

(1) 240 VAC OUTLET, 20 AMPS MIN. 1 DEDICATED BREAKER (OR 120VAC, 15 AMPS IF 120V:240V TRANSFORMER IS USED, 1 DEDICATED BREAKER)

• TOUCHSCREEN /CONTROLLER (IF PURCHASED)

(3) 120VAC OUTLETS, 15A MIN, 1 DEDICATED BREAKER

• FLOOD COOLANT PUMP (IF PURCHASED)

(3) 120VAC OUTLETS, 15A MIN, 1 DEDICATED BREAKER

Also curious about this…

You’ll need a dedicated breaker for the spindle driver, a dedicated breaker for the machine’s electronics box, and a dedicated breaker for everything else (PC, touchscreen, flood coolant pump, etc). Hope this helps!

1 Like

Great - thanks!

So the coolant system is 1 120v outlet, 1 for the monitor, and 1 for the PC on a dedicated circuit, and then 1 120v with a dedicated circuit for the controller and 1 240v circuit for the spindle. If I understood you correctly, I will need 1 240v 20a circuit and then 2 120v 15a circuits, one with 3 outlets min. And one with 1?
Just want to get wiring done in the shop before the Texas heat really takes hold and can’t have the AC running while I’m changing out the panel!

So… 3 breakers in total?

If you plan to run the spindle on 110V, then you will need 3 dedicated breakers. If you happen to have a 20A breaker on your 110V outlet for the spindle (like most garages have in the US) you will get even more power to the spindle.

If you plan to run the spindle on 220V, then you will need 1 220V breaker, and 2 110V breakers.

Thanks for the clarification

Are you able to give us the actual current draw of all those?
Thanks

@langmuir-mike Yes, this would be helpful to know for setup if doing yourself or if an electrician is used.

Ya I’m curious now too think the biggest draw on 120v would be the coolant pump the computers can’t be much of a draw. I’m curious if all the 120 stuff could run off a 20amp plug.

Interesting question and definitely something that needs to be specified exactly since I assume a fair amount of us will be running wiring and receptacles in preparation for the mill.

I assume 15A breakers are required for the 120V - that is a fair amount of power - 30A (2 circuits) @ 120V = 3.6Kw - my assumption that everything (motors, computers, cooling) is run at 120V except the spindle, which is the only item that has the option to run at 220V

What is the current draw of the spindle at 220V 1 phase (ie breaker size)? That would help us size the cabling.

Do you plan to supply plugs on the power cables or we need to hardwire? If plugs, which ones, especially the 220V one?

*we might be asking these questions too early lol - it’s only April and first delivery is 3 1/2 months away…).

Cheers

Mike

Does the spindle perform better when ran on 220?

• Spindle
  • SPINDLE MOTOR TYPE

220V AC SERVO MOTOR WITH INTEGRATED ENCODER FOR PRECISE SPEED CONTROL

• SPINDLE MOTOR POWER - 220VAC SUPPLY

3.4 HORSEPOWER (2.5kW)

• SPINDLE TORQUE - 220VAC SUPPLY @ 500 RPM

3.5 LB-FT

• SPINDLE TORQUE - 220VAC SUPPLY @ 8000 RPM

2.2 LB-FT

• SPINDLE MOTOR POWER - 110VAC SUPPLY (WITH OPTIONAL 120V:220V TRANSFORMER ADD-ON)

2.0 HORSEPOWER (1.5 kW)

• SPINDLE TORQUE - 110VAC SUPPLY @ 500 RPM

2.1 LB-FT

• SPINDLE TORQUE - 110VAC SUPPLY @ 8000 RPM

1.3 LB-FT

1 Like

Absolutely

220VAC SUPPLY 3.4 HORSEPOWER (2.5kW)
110VAC SUPPLY 2.0 HORSEPOWER (1.5 kW)
(WITH OPTIONAL 120V:220V TRANSFORMER ADD-ON)

ok, so based on that.
spindle 12amps
computer 5amp
controller ?
coolant pump 6amps

anybody know the amp draw of the controller? the steppers could pull 5amps each, but what about the rest?

Ideally i want to run a single run to the machine with that split into my 220 and 120v plugs.

1 Like

I’m running 8ga THHN in conduit to a small 40A sub panel. Spindle power will be wired direct to a 20A 240V breaker and I’ll have 4 15A 120V outlets each on their own breaker. Probably overkill.

Something to keep in mind here is National Electric Code (NEC) states that for continuous loads (I believe the threshold is like 3 hours?) that circuits should not be loaded over 80%. We do 40% capacity for each side of redundant circuits in our data center at work. If “A” side redundant outlet drops the combined load forced on the “B” side would be 80%. I say that here as its possible for a mill like this to run long periods of time and you want to be sure you have capacity to avoid nuance breaker trips during a very long cuts. I’ve seen breakers nearly melt before tripping (enough to burn up plugs) but I’ve seen them trip early. Again I’m not a license electrician so do your homework.

1 Like

Don’t really need N+1 type redundancy for this application I would think.

You are correct and redundancy won’t do you any good since only have a single source. However the 80% still applies and on a 40 amp circuit that’s 32 amps continuous draw for long periods. Again just hoping to educate folks so they can make intelligent decisions.