MR-1 First Parts. Post them here 🦾

First time milling, first part, first failure. Learned a lot though!

5 Likes

I need to actually update my thread. But I jumped the gun slightly before resin because I needed to get a part done so I could get other projects done while waiting for the resin to cure. Easy toolpath and something that a manual mill would have been more than happy doing, but I jumped into the medium end of the pool first with a steel part of unknown hardness. Had some decent looking uncoated 4 flute carbides that were obtained when the wife’s work was throwing a bunch of stuff out, so I threw one of those in because I don’t want to use anything too nice until I get a bit more handle on things.

T-nut for a quick change tool post on my small lathe. Cut great and surface finish was nice. Cut it dry since coolant and enclosure aren’t hooked up yet. Machine seems to be living up to its hype. Steel was my main concern and I was very happy to see that it seemed more than willing to chomp through it

8 Likes

Well I’m finally able to join the party. Started the build around Thanksgiving, made my first part yesterday… lol TRS Robotics: First Official Part on the MR-1 (not sure if the link will give a preview)…

3 Likes

most cities have a hazmat drop off free of charge. theres plenty here in california. But i thought that coolant was like super eco friendly? Maybe it can go down drain.

1 Like

Made a fuel bracket for a helicopter crop duster this morning. It

came out awesome and in spec.

9 Likes

@Bigdaddy2166 This looks great! Any chance you can post in our stickied post too :rofl:

1 Like

Nice work! Did you thread mill the acme thread? Oops, sorry. This was supposed to reply to the post showing the gear puller. Couldn’t figure out how to delete this post!

No the threaded parts are too be welded in.
But, I have done acme threads on the mill before. This thing is wonderful. Big time money maker.

3 Likes

Finally. First part off the mill. Not without ripping stock out of the SMW vise first though. Oh well, live and learn.

3 Likes

Took my SMW vises out of my machine and put them in the bottom of my tool box.
After ruining a couple hundred dollars of materials for that same reason.
Put the Langmuir low profile vises in and have not had a problem since.
Tried it all. Well you need to watch the video…
You need to use a torque wrench… I wasted $1000 on two vises with all the accessories. Anything that is 1" or higher than the vise will come out under a load. Its just a matter of time. I’m sure they have there place but, I have no intention of sending anymore parts at the windows of the machine.

4 Likes

It’s what I have to use until I can get some toe clamps made unfortunately. Backed feeds way down and got it done at least. Still really rough on the cam side of things for me, got some learning to do

1 Like

Lookin good!

what torque are using when bolting down the vise or the hold downs?

30~35 lbs per their instructions. To hold work piece. 20 lbs to anchor the vise down to the base plate.

2 Likes

in lbs im assuming… hmm I gotta look through the videos again. I think I missed that. Thanks!

10 lubed, 14 foot lbs dry. for 1/4-20 socket cap allens, 12 ftlbs dry for grade 8. This is for standard fastener installs, 20 inch pounds is really loose but maybe. 20ft pounds might break a 1.4-20 bolt.

20 - 30 ft lbs not to exceed 35 ft lbs. * For the bolts mounting the vise to a fixture plate, please see our Fixture Plate FAQ for recommended torque specs. This varies depending on fixture plate material and hole pattern.

• For the 7/16" clamping fasteners on both steel and aluminum vises we recommend 20 ft-lbs [27 N-m] for general use. Necessary clamping torque is dependent on a) the use case and needed clamping force and b) how much the jaw is ‘preloaded’ (i.e. how far the two clamping screws are backed out before setting the position of the adjustable base). Anywhere from 10-30 ft-lbs [14-40 N-m] is appropriate, but ***do not exceed 35 ft-lbs [47 N-m].***How to Use The Saunders Machine Works Mod Vise System - YouTube
2 Likes

Made this this morning. This is so I could bolt down
a 6 inch lathe chuck to base plate for round parts.
I ordered a low profile chuck to keep the height down.
Still in development stages…

3 Likes

Not the first part I made on the mill, but the first functional one.

13 Likes

Threads came out awesome. Hell the whole cap looks great.
Were you grinding your teeth while threading it? :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like