Limit Switch Homing Kit for CrossFire and CrossFire PRO is COMING!

That’s only because you are looking down at the table from above.

If you are on the floor looking up from underneath, it makes perfect sense. :slight_smile:

-TM

5 Likes

i’ve been using autocad since before windows was a thing… (early 90’s) and doing math’s even longer and i’m pretty sure the cartesian coordinate system hasn’t changed in that time. why does Langmuir have to re-invent the wheel? to save 3’ of shielded cable?

3 Likes

Maybe they do it to put gantry out of the way for loading and preparing the machine to cut but 0,0 is in the front left corner.

2 Likes

I am interested in if we would lose any travel by installing limit switches.

That was what I was figuring…makes it easier to load. My laser engraver/cutter home is the same location, so not horrible to adjust too. Now my question is the system just adding homing switches, or is there additional circuitry, and not just wires and switches.

if i am understanding correctly the control box has hookup inside. the limit and homing is new to the pro table…

Ummm, why?

Microstation is the same since 1993, lol…

1 Like

Very important question. Hopefully, the answer is no change.

1 Like

I would think we would lose a very small amount. It will have to stop before the hard stops

Id be interested in it

While we all anxiously await availability, there are a couple of questions that I’d like to have cleared up in my feeble mind.
First, DO we lose any working space? I can just BARELY cut full width as it is and, I’m not sure I’d really like to give up any length in either X or Y.
Second, Why do we now have to switch out home to the top? I have done it on occasion with changing the entry point for a specific piece or whatnot so it isn’t TERRIBLY onerous but I’m thinking I’ll be making some changes in Sheetcam as well.
I’m the one who has been pestering LS the most for these switches but, if it results in LESS capacity for my,otherwise excellent, table, I may reconsider.

2 Likes

i tried microstation back in '94 or '95. just couldnt get the hang of it. was using Cadvance and Generic Cadd at the time. both were run out of MS-DOS, shortly after that we switched to windows 3.5 or something and autocad after autodesk bought Generic Cadd and eliminated them.

The utility I work for adopted it since the state DOT was using it. I use QCad professional and Affinity Designer at home and find them much easier to use.

1 Like

I used a PlasmaCam table before my Pro. They had limit switches on theirs in the top left corner as well. Every time you used their cutting software, you’d have to initialize it, where it basically hits the limit switches and zeros everything out. It was very convenient because you could leave your old drawings/cuts on your design/drwing/cutting program so you didn’t have to manually line up the piece of metal on your table. You knew it wouldn’t overlap cuts if it wasn’t overlapped in the software. So in that setup, the location of the limit switches didn’t really matter because they only served to zero out and initialize the table, and were used as a starting off point, or ‘HOME’.

On the Langmuir tables, I don’t really see the benefit yet, being that you don’t use the same program to design and cut like Design Edge for PlasmaCam. Even if you zero out on the limit switches, it doesn’t really aid you in getting your first pierce/cut where it needs to be.

1 Like

I’m trying to find a replacement for Autocad at home, my HD is going tits up on me, and thanks to AutoCAD going subscription based, they are no longer allowing older versions to be re-installed and activated. even though my work has paid them tens of thousands of dollars over the years. I’ve tried cloning the drive on to a new drive but it still shows up as new hardware and fails the license verification.

You can try the QCad with a trial. Its not very expensive.

@langmuir-mike

Will this allow for G90 absolute positioning?

Edit
Maybe is a dumb question and reflects my ignorance.
I want to put a program a location over a plate of material to allow the tip to cool w/out spraying water all over the place.

3 Likes

Can we PLEASE try to keep this thread on track…
it is a thread to inform us of a release…of equipment…

I know I am guilty of this myself…but this is going way …way off track

thank you for letting me rant…not that you had a choice…hehehehehe

3 Likes

The limit switch location makes 100% sense to me. Lets look at 90% of these tables, the back of them, are pushed up against a wall, and the sheets are loaded from the front. I don’t know about everyone else, but I don’t rip sheets down to 32", otherwise there would always be a big waste of material left if all the parts being cut didn’t nest perfectly in that 48x32" window. I slide the sheet onto the table, zero it in the corner that Langmuir has these switches set up for, flip my drawing 180* set the top left as the program origin and cut it as if the X+ and Y+ “top right corner” of the table was X/Y 0 and cut. Basically backwards of what “typical plasma tables do”. When I’m done, I set a X+ straight cut for 48.25" and cut the skeleton off the sheet. It really is irrelevant where “zero” is, you can use the features in FireControl to do basically anything you want with any cut file that fits within the tables cut envelope.

That said, put me down for one of these kits, so I can do what now takes me 30-60 seconds, with just a click of the mouse. And a another gantry tube that doesn’t have a wave in it would be fantastic too :wink:

Keep innovating guys!

2 Likes