Just bought a Crossfire Pro, what should I start studyiing?

I’d completely recommend Fusion. The biggest learning curve I think, (depending on computer aptitude from the get-go), is going to be knowing where the functions are that you want to use. Or what they are called. There are some great tutorials on YouTube for how to draw a basic part, make it a solid, and go over to the cutting/tool path process. Get those steps memorized and dialed, and you can make a part in minutes.

On a separate note, I run Fusion on my more powerful desktop for all the drafting and programming. Then I put the NC file on a thumb drive and take it to my cheapo laptop to run on the table. NC files are super tiny and my laptop is almost empty but for FireControl. I’ve never had to restart my old Dell or anything due to computer issues.

2 Likes

I am a newbie, but few months ahead of you. I also recommend F360, but it is definitely a learning curve to it. There are other easier options, but knowing F360 provides some powerful capabilities. If you want to get into…or you are doing…3D printing or machining…its good for that as well. For these reasons, I am wanting to challenge myself to be proficient in F360. There are plenty of youtube tutorials and that is what I am currently using to learn. I would have gladly invested some $$ for a weekend course on it, but can’t find anything. If you are open to spending a little more time on learning, go F360. Watching someone that knows what they are doing…to quickly create a part in F360 is VERY cool to me, lol. Can’t wait to get there.

4 Likes

Just got the email, first box is on the way. It’s all happening!

2 Likes

I’m downloading the software now but I’m not certain which files I want to download. My laptop specs are:
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
16GB RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 770M
Samsung EVO 850 SSD 500GB

I think those are all of the relevant hardware/software specs, if I’m missing any let me know and I’ll post them. My question is on the FireControl software, do I want the latest version or the older graphics compatible version? They are both labeled Version 21.1.5 but one version is labeled 21.1.5-compatability. Thanks in advance!

Firecontrol won’t do anything for you until you can connect to the crossfire’s control box. The best thing you can do is figure out what you’re going to use for CAD/CAM and start learning/practicing those if you’re not proficient already.

It will depend on what you plan to cut with the machine, signs, artwork or parts which CAD you’ll use the most. I think it’s easiest to start with simple parts as the art and signs usually involve importing SVG files etc that have all kinds of issues. I often couldn’t tell if it was me or the software when I started with inkscape for example. I use Fusion 360 mostly for my CAD and Sheetcam for CAM. I found the Fusion 360 CAM too confusing. I will probably use it more as I get more experience but there’s only so much you can learn at one time.

Start with simple parts is my advice and build on that. Don’t try that complex thing that you bought the table to do right out of the gate, it’s a recipe for frustration and wasted metal. It’s a process and you will learn it if you build one skill at a time.

2 Likes

My first few cuts will be the downloadable shared files from FireShare, I figure that way I will at least know the table is setup right. Currently I don’t have any parts files or any specific parts to do but I know down the road I will be doing a lot of parts. I plan on doing signs the first year or so, with maybe a random simple part thrown in here or there. I already downloaded Inkscape, I’ve watched a lot of “how to” videos on Inkscape and Fusion and I’d like to start trying to make my own files now. I haven’t done anything with SheetCAM yet but I will start looking into that too. For now and the immediate future though signs and wall art are going to be 99% of what I plan to do.

2 Likes

Sounds like you are on the right track. Nothing wrong with doing some design work before the table gets there. I had two signs designed and run through Fusion 360 before my table arrived. My first cut was a test coupon. After that I cut out a adapter plate for an old compressor tank to retrofit it with a harbor freight compressor pump. Before I cut my first sign, I cut out one of the more intricate components of the sign first. I made it a stand alone file, which by itself it was about 8x8" and I had a remnant to cut it out of so it was pretty low risk if it didn’t work out. I figured if that worked out well then I could have some confidence cutting out the 3x4 sign.

It all worked out well. I did have some interference issues which forced me to learn the run from loop and run from line commands. This also taught me to mark my zero point in case something like that happened. Its been a little over 6 months and I still learn something new every time I make a cut.

Its been a rewarding hobby for me. I am excited for you to get up and running!

3 Likes

Fireshare is a blessing and a curse. There is no quality control there so you are relying on the person who posted it knowing what they are doing. I did that with a simple f-bomb and it worked ok but I later found problems in it that were affecting my cut quality. Again less is more so if you grab a file off of there make it a simple one. I think this is the best one for a first cut and I used it several times after getting confused by the messed up f-bomb. Test Card | FireShare | Langmuir Systems

6 Likes

I’m having an issue with Inkscape right now, the Makerbot Unicorn gcode extension is only for the older versions of Inkscape and I downloaded the newest version 1.2. Do I need to download an older version of Inkscape or is there a different gcode extension to add to 1.2? Also will Sheetcam allow you to import a picture and bitmap it the way Inkscape does?

No SheetCAM wants to see a *.DXF or *.SVG.

1 Like

You shouldn’t be trying to make G-code for the plasma table with Inkscape. That is what Sheetcam is for. You make your drawing in Inkscape and make sure you have converted everything to “paths”. Then import the Inkscape SVG in Sheetcam for creating the toolpaths and post processing that into G-code that Firecontrol can use.

2 Likes

Well, that changes everything. Now I get it. I’m going to download Sheetcam now, I converted a couple of cool pictures into pathed bitmaps so I’ll just save them as .svg files right? Then upload them to sheetcam, at which point I have no idea what to do but I’m hoping the toolpaths are automatically generated. If not no big deal I’ll us a little common sense and do some reading up on how to do that. Or just ask here!

1 Like

There are some really good easy to follow YouTube videos on sheetcam. Pretty neat program in itself

2 Likes

Update:
Boxes 1 and 3 have arrived, the THC has arrived and the Laptop Stand is inbound. I think at this point I’m just waiting on Box 2 to be shipped, which unfortunately has I’m pretty sure all the most important stuff (control box, bearing blocks, z-axis, and ALL the hardware and hopefully instructions that aren’t in any of the other boxes). Box 3 was a surprise, the other boxes I got an email that they were coming. Danger close to setup day!

4 Likes

There are no instructions in the boxes. The instructions are on the website here CrossFire PRO Assembly Guide | Langmuir Systems

2 Likes

So I emailed them about Box 2 and the thread pitch for the casters, when I got home Box 2 was waiting for me…So the 5-7 week delivery time for me was just under 4 weeks! I believe that is the last box, unfortunately I was expecting another week or two so I just started a restoration project on a 1941 Craftsman Drill Press yesterday…Now I need to finish that project real quick like so I can get started on the Crossfire Pro! I also need the casters I ordered today since the leveling feet are literally the first thing you assemble according to the instructions. Hopefully by the end of this weekend I will be getting the table put together, it depends on how quick the casters come and how quick I can finish this restoration, the drill press is completely disassembled right now and still needs to be cleaned, sandblasted and painted so time will tell. Thanks to everyone for their input here and I’ll post again when I get started putting the table together!

1 Like

Where abouts are you located,if its near galt ca then we are close . I could lend a hand if needed

1 Like

I’m in the Chicago 'burbs, thanks for the offer though! The casters I ordered are out for delivery so they should be there when I get home from work. If they are I will start the table build today. I still need to wire up the CNC plug for the CUT60, really bummed out Primeweld doesn’t have the Machine torch yet but the machine will still work with the hand torch. I’m also wondering if I should make the table underneath for the plasma cutter and water tank out of wood. I’m not sure but a metal shelf down there could contribute to electrical interference.

I’m not sure how the metal shelf would contribute to interference. I wouldn’t let that be the decision maker. There’s a good video on the CNC plug here Primeweld Cut 60 on A ( Langmuir Systems Crossfire PRO.. ) - YouTube
he does have it wrong (which he put’s in the notes) that pin 4 and 6 are interchangeable otherwise it’s very helpful!

1 Like

I remember reading in the THC article on the Langmuir site that the DVI is polarity sensitive, I’ll just double check the Primeweld book on which pin is which.

2 Likes