It's been awhile. Post those projects!

Ok, ok, I’ll check it out and let you know how it goes.

I agree with Don. The CAM process is so much better since December 2022 and has continued to improve this year.

But, you have so many different programs that you need to master that I can understand your reluctance to take that extra time to re-learn Fusion 360’s nuances.

I believe SheetCAM still has a few tricks that Fusion 360 is just not there yet. One is the start from center of holes and the other is the “park” feature at the end of the cut. But, I don’t want to start a feud. I just know I don’t want to spend the time to learn SheetCAM just for those few things. The speed of which SheetCAM manufacture the g-code is not important to me. On Fusion 360 column is that quick process between editing your sketch and almost instantaneously have the g-code ready to process.

2 Likes

Love the passion here and the good vibes you’re all sending out for my process improvements.

1 Like

I meant piping sorry?

Yes, all stainless pneumatic components.

1 Like

OK, trying Fusion CAM. Here are my sheetcam settings for 18ga steel. I spent several hours tweaking these for optimal cutting.

Set up a F360 plasma cutting tool

I don’t see a place to set plunge rate but I have feedrates, cut/pierce height and pierce time set.

Here’s F360 post dialog

Cut height, pierce delay, pierce height are wrong. Do these not flow through from the tool settings?

from nc file
G0 X3.5166 Y4.1449
G92 Z0.
G38.2 Z-5. F100.
G38.4 Z0.5 F20.
G92 Z0.
G0 Z0.04 (IHS Springback + Backlash)
G92 Z0.
G0 Z0.15 (Pierce Height)
M3
G4 P0.5
G0 Z0.063 (Cut Height)
H1
G1 X3.5536 Y3.9515 F150.
G3 X3.7236 Y4.4406 I0.085 J0.2446
G3 X3.5536 Y3.9515 I-0.085 J-0.2446
G1 X3.7025 Y4.0802
H0
M5
G0 Z1.

in the cps v1.6 file, I see the post properties are statically defined.
properties = {
ihsToggle: true,
thcToggle: true,
pierceDelay: 0.5, // specifies the delay to pierce in seconds
pierceHeight: 0.15, // specifies the pierce height
cutHeight: 0.063, // toggle between using G0 or G1 with a high Feedrate for rapid movements
retractHeight: 1, // the retract distance
ihsSpringback: 0.020,
};

I’ve spent hours tweaking my sheetcam tool settings to improve dimension accuracy, kerf, minimize dross and pierce hole size. I don’t see how using Fusion’s CAM/post gives me the tool flexibility of sheetcam. Especially when all the sheetcam values I tweaked are statically coded in the LS post cps file and have to be changed every job. If I’m missing something here, please let me know.

Unfortunately, Fusion does not pass Pierce Height, Cut Height, or Pierce Delay thru to the post processor. It will also add an additional 0.020" of backlash to the spring back value by default. (It will accept a negative springback value if you choose.) I’ve found that by having them entered into the tool, I can familiarize myself with the correct values when I select the tool. Fusion tends to remember the last settings used in the post processor window, so that may be of help.

We also use both SheetCAM and Fusion for posts. Most of the time, I’ve found Fusion’s posts to be acceptable. Occasionally, I need one of SheetCAM’s unique abilities. (Limit Thermal Distortion comes to mind…)

3 Likes

I’ve looked over the cps js code, installed VS Autodesk Fusion Post Processor Utility, found the post processor js base class definition. But now I’m fooling around on the computer when I should be in my shop. I’ll stop here and see what other comments come in about Fusion’s post for LS crossfire systems.

2 Likes

When you are talking about the tools in Fusion 360, you are absolutely right. There is still quite a bit of fine tuning the post processor. As far as one of your questions on Plunge rate, the default in Fusion360 is 100 inches/minute.

I don’t want to speak for Don, but my enthusiasm for Fusion360 manufacturing space was the ability to pick contours in a variety of ways and “manufacturing” space has been greatly enhanced over the last 12 months. As far as all of the values in our “tools”, as Terrance pointed out, none of us are particularly happy that those values do not flow to that post-processing page.

I feel partially responsible for goading you to try Fusion360’s manufacturing space but…and that is a big BUT: once you get used to the sequences (noting the values in your tools when you select it in the tool path-to remind you of your settings) there is a fast transition from editing a sketch and post production.

If I were you, since you do such a variety of machines, systems and materials, I would probably stay with SheetCAM until Fusion360 carries those values to post processing. Thank you for giving it a try.

On another note: I just just spent 4 hours trying to bridge a font on font forge…just because of you. So we are even :crazy_face: :rofl:

I think I may have deleted some files that font forge needed plus I forgot everything I learned a few months back. After re-installing things went better.

Love your work and contributions here.

2 Likes

Looks like Jim covered plunge rate which fusion don’t have the ability to adjust speed. This don’t cause me any issues but would be nice to have ability to adjust. Sorry I was trying to save you time with just using one software.

Don’t be sorry, I appreciate the effort. Because of you, I have something cooking over here and will post it in a few days.

1 Like

Posted for everyone to display those monster bucks we have in Michigan!

Michigan deer tag mount | FireShare | Langmuir Systems

8 Likes

No monster buck this year for me. Pretty tough hunting this year. Way too warm!

2 Likes

You know the monster buck aren’t good eating. Sorry I had too . I prefer them like I do my beef a yearly.

1 Like

It’s starting to get cold now so hopefully you get one before the season is over. Lots of nice ones running around state land in Gladwin County.

This buck used to range in our apple orchard surrounded by 30 acres of alfalfa. It got poached by a bow hunter. The fool entered it into the local big buck competition. Almost everyone in town had seen or had a picture of the the deer so allot of people reported it when it was displayed in the local sporting goods store that sponsored the competition. Also I think he posted pics online where others recognized the buck…. so he(poacher) was easy to catch.

Hanging out in back yard.

Took this pic from our bale wagon. He is standing at the edge of the orchard in the alfalfa.

6 Likes

What a rack! Am I allowed to say that?

4 Likes

I tried to research the UV paint that you used over the stained wood hand rail. I found that it was a more difficult task than I imagined.

Do you have the name of the product, by chance?

I’ll get it from my bro

1 Like

18ga - 18" x 19" - squares are .442" per side. 173 pierces! Tried to do this in Fusion, but it warped the sheet badly! SheetCAM with Limit Thermal Distortion set to 3" allowed this to happen.

RW45 @ 30A with Fine Cut. 130 ipm / .5s pierce. .150 / .060 pierce / cut heights.

2 down, 12 to go…

5 Likes