Is there hvac fab compatible software?

Still figuring out fusion 360, making shit etc. amongst other things. Curious if there are any sheet metal workers on here using Langmuir products to blast out square to rounds/fittings for installs.

what software you use for hvac fittings?
^is it free or not?
what nesting software you use?
^dont really seem like a guy would have much room left over on a crossfire pro

thought about pre making a bunch of standard fittings in fusion 360 (plenum transitions, RAE, maybe even stock elbows) but if theres a program that will just make life easier that would probably be sweet.

cheers,
from Canada

1 Like

@TinWhisperer is HVAC and lots of videos to help.

2 Likes

Here is a link: HVAC . Pattern Development

You have, no doubt, found the sheet metal section of Fusion 360. It is free to hobbyist but if you make more than $1000 per year with your products developed in Fusion 360 you no longer qualify for the free version. But, it allows you to “try before you buy.”

As for ‘nesting’, Fusion has a great nesting feature in the paid version but not in the free version. You can still do nesting in the free version, but it is not automated.

Tin can speak for himself but he does all of his work on the Crossfire PRO table.

1 Like

Nesting option is almost as much as the basic paid version.

1 Like

You might be right. I now remember it is the “arrange” function after deriving flat panel sketches. Totally manual for free version. ‘Arrange’ is not even an option on free version menu.

Good catch Knick. Thanks.

I did not do my research and just thought it would be included. Probably go back to free version next
Year

For those interested in ‘deriving’ and ‘arranging’ flat panel sketches, this was a fairly quick video that was easy to follow.

The reason I was interested is because I had multiple flat panel sketches and could not figure out how to go the “Manufacturing” (Fusion 360) to make a tool path on the whole lot. And for this discussion with HVAC, there definitely could be circumstances where you might want mulitple sketch components in the same g-code file.

Basically, if they are flat panels you either need to do them one at a time in ‘manufacturing’ making them each a separate g-code file or you can ‘derive’ the sketches and ‘arrange’ them on a single sketch panel. This video shows you enough that you can figure out how to arrange them manually, so it is not like the “end of the world” that we don’t have ‘arrange.’

1 Like

Install Nester which is a script add-on for fusion.

3 Likes

@Kamierau Welcome to the Forum, Great to see another Sheet metal worker and a Canadian to bout.

I use Fusion 360 to layout sheet metal patterns and other components for HVAC installations.

I use fusion 360 to layout pattern similarly to how one would lay them out on the bench. In the past I used Sketchup 8 too.

I use the arrange function in the paid subscription of Fusion 360 another option is to import DXF s and use them in deepnest.io

yea the PRO is small one but I get some work done with it of the reason I see a XR in my future.

If you making standard elbow ( unless they are huge ) or Standard Return shoes I find my supplier cost is very reasonable compared to my metal costs and labour. For me at least the plenum transitions I fabricate are typically one offs, I can layout normally lay them out, cut and fabricate in about 30-45mins so not really time effective for me to use the machine for them.

I remember being an apprentice I making so many s tees and elbow for stock by hand that had to tape my hands some day.

There is a lot of duct software out there, but I haven t found a good free one yet.

Hypertherms Design2Fab does many different style of fitting and you can purchaser a lifetime license.

@Kamierau If you want a walkthrough of going through the process of developing some patterns on fusion 360 let me know I’d be happy to help. I often live stream video different issues and designs using Fusion 360 so if you have a fitting in mind share the dimensions and I’ll run through the process.

3 Likes

John Hackney is an epic level Fusion 360 master , I love all his videos.

But in either case for still have to derive to have multi sheet metal flats unwrapped in the same drawing.

3 Likes

How is this Fusion add on working for you @DonP ?

1 Like

I have it loaded in my fusion but don’t do many multiple component builds. I just know it’s a free option to use in fusion.

I loaded it from a video I seen Lars do a while ago. It’s not as good as arrange but what interesting to me to have on my computer at the time. I just need to play with stuff in fusion.

2 Likes

Have you ever used it?

1 Like

Nothing is as good as arrange for nesting. As you seen this morning in our quick meeting it’s not perfect but it’s free. I’ll leave it to you for best recommendation for newer users. Very old script

3 Likes

A lot of way to skin a cat. I am sure we haven t found the best answer yet.

1 Like

We will do a live stream a 9am mst (12 noon est ) That is going to talk about using the free software deepnest.io

Deep nest is a great open source nesting software for your SVG’s and DXF’s

We will walk through creating some simple DXF’s and exporting them from Fusion 360. Then we will import them in deepnest.io, create a nest and export the new nest. Finally inserting that nest back in Fusion 360 or SheetCAM.

A shout out to @KX9M a long time forum user that originally posted about using deepnest.io

I will also repost this video on that topic.

Live Stream Channels

Edit: well having a glickly time with my feed. some bit of the stream went to twitch. I’ll try to fix my computer troubles and stream again soon.

2 Likes

Going to try that stream again.

3 Likes

I recommend Product Design Online YouTube channel for learning Fusion.

1 Like

Nice intro to Deepnest. If definitely has advantages over the manual arranging.

That is a good wholistic approach to learning Fusion 360. For me, at this point, I am able to follow but he really loads you up with so much information that I could not keep up with it when I first started with learning Fusion. Definitely a must see video series, though.

1 Like

I have one i use will let you know the name when im back at my computer. I used it when i was doing design for a local tin banger outfit.