HVAC . Pattern Development

From Time to time I create some less common sheet metal fittings for HVAC, I figured I’d start a topic to keep this information together.

Any other Tinsmith’s out there?

This first fitting will serve 3 functions:

Plenum Take-off

90 deg Elbow

Rising offset.
Riser-300x300

Some of these types of patterns make Fusion through a fit.

We’ll start with a wildly hard layout, wish me luck.

Starting at about 9AM pst. Oct 4 2023

1 Like

ezgif-3-c6155489b5

Here is the 3 in 1 fitting from the post above

ezgif-3-c6155489b5

I’ll fabricate this today and post some more pictures

1 Like

Here is a link to a square to round I made awhile ago

3 Likes

ezgif-4-bd071f85af
ezgif-4-4771c03ffb

I give this fitting about an 8 out of 10 for hardness to fabricate and assemble

Edit. Here is the fabricated fitting

ezgif-3-c6155489b5

I’m not sure how much equivalent footage this saves but quite a bit, maybe 50 equivalent feet ?compared to the three fittings it replaces.

7 Likes

Oh yeah… I’m sure he is… Bwahahaha That guy’s toes are plugged into the Internet! Offline! My Foot! Oh, wait, HIS foot!

I’m not buying…

However, on the matter of this topic, I see a LOT of merit to having a category like ‘Trade Related Advice’ with one of the subcategories “HVAC”. Whatcha think @langmuir-reilly @langmuir-aksel ??

5 Likes

seriously nice tinsmith work!!!

real fine example of what real work looks like…most of the stuff I see these days is so poorly put together I am surprised the air gets to the desired rooms…also duct seal and tin tape seem to hold the rest together

2 Likes

I have 5 register boots I need to make offsets for.

Here are the dimensions.

Qty 5 - 4"x10" 8.5"length 4"offset shortway ( which means it offsets on the small face of the fitting)

Qty 1 - 4"x10" 8.5"length 4"offset longway ( which means it offsets on the large face of the fitting)

double-rect-radius-offset

Normally I layout and cut these by hand but I thought doing this with the Langmuir and Fusion 360 would make for a interesting video.

Ill live stream at 6:15am pst oct 11 2023

Live Stream Channels

3D model link

2 Likes

:clap: I particularly liked your copy point to point with the rotate on pivot point. I am sure I will use that sometime. (Just before the 32 minute mark if others want to see)

Thanks for showing. As always, I may not ever need the fitting you make; but, you show various techniques that give a better understanding of what is possible.

2 Likes

ezgif-1-b9daa72d1e
ezgif-1-4f32878524

The results

2 Likes

Funny but my father was a tin knocker. He would have loved what you’re doing and would have been right in there learning Fusion and my Crossfire. Bringing back memories.

5 Likes

Nice work @TinWhisperer

1 Like

Do you have a video doing a simple 8" round to square or rectangle? I have looked at some other videos, but they have all been setting them up by hand. I have a used furnace someone gave me, and I was wanting to make an exhaust fan out of it. I guess I could buy one off the shelf… but I have a disease that makes me want to make everything… :wink:

2 Likes

If @TinWhisperer can’t make you a video i can play around with how i would do it. What size square or rectangle are you thinking? I don’t play in the HVAC stuff much but know how to create different planes and loft to objects or on path. Getting it to unfold might be my challenge.

1 Like

Hey Don! Thanks for the offer. Just wanting to go from a round I can attach an 8 inch round duct to… 8 inch round to 10 inch square or something similar.

Probably overly complex for what I am doing…

Should probably just buy one of these.

2 Likes

I would go buy one myself but great to learn how to loft and create separate planes which is how the first picture would be created. Multiple ways to connect planes also. This way if you do come across a custom size which you can’t buy off the shelf you can make it. Great video to have on the forum.

I did have a video but it was the older method before they added the loft command to sheet metal.

I can run through it sometime this afternoon.

3 Likes

So was the only difference be you would cut this by hand?

So I take there would be a fair amount of time savings being you made six.
Once you have the file there would be no drawing time the next go around.

Seems like this would be the way to go!

@TinWhisperer
DUDE!!!

YOu aere one seriously talented tin-banger…wow…

2 Likes

By request of @72Pony we’ll be making a square to round in Fusion 360

dTMt2

4:30PM PST

Live Stream Channels

copper square to round flats v1.f3z (536.8 KB)

4 Likes

Thanks for doing that!! I am going to have to watch that a couple of times.

1 Like