IHS and Cutting inconsistency

Swapped out to new consumables. Dropped the pierce delay to 0.5. Still getting failures:

No idea what to try next.

Where are you getting your consumables?

I bought my first set of replacements directly from Langmuir. I was then told on here that George’s Plasma Cutter Shop on Ebay has better ones, so those are the ones I am using now.

Shouldn’t be consumables unless defective.

Do you have a hand torch does it cut ok?

What about wiring it no shorts?

Will it run another program?

Where do you have work clamp attached? To table slat or material, you are cutting.

That was my next thought was a long thread couldn’t remember if it was asked. Make sure all leads are tight.

I do not have a hand torch, purchased the Razorweld directly from Langmuir, they only included the X45.

No shorts in the wiring as far as I can tell. The pierce failures occur sporadically. Earlier today when I first changed the parameters, it ran for about 30 minutes with only about a 5% pierce failure. Took a break to let everything cool down, and when I start back up my failures are around 60%.

I don’t think it is the CAM. I am using ProNest LT23. One of the other guys reviewed my GCode a few weeks ago (further up this thread), and they said it all looked good from there.

Clamp is attached to the workpiece

I can cam out a small piece tonight I use sheet cam so you can give it a try. If it was in cam it would be consistent I would think

1 Like

Does the electrode move freely in the torch?

How would I go about checking this? Once the electrode is in the torch, not sure how I would access it

Stupid question - but at this point I may as well cover all my bases - should the Razorweld be set to 2T or 4T mode? I would think that it would be consistently failing in one of the modes, but when I try one or the other there doesn’t seem to be any difference. Does the FireControl automatically adjust based on the setting?

Use 2T setting

1 Like

When you change electrode does it move freely in swirl ring?

Was thinking what is the plunge rate set at?

When I change the electrode, yes, it moves freely in the swirl ring.

In ProNest, there are excel files that determine all the cut parameters, and I don’t recall seeing plunge rate on the main sheet (it might be on the lead-in/lead-out files, which I have not messed with yet).

I am out of the shop today, so I won’t be able to check until later this afternoon. Any ideas on what my plunge rate should be?

The plunge rate is the speed of travel between pierce and cut. If you wasn’t sure. Mine is set at 100 ipm .

I drew w 2 in square with a .750 hole cam was done on sheetcam. Speed was set a 60 ipm. If you want I can send to you to try. At least that will eliminate your cam process.

1 Like

Sure, much appreciated!

It will be 6 or seven hours from now around 4 est before I will have my laptop connected to the internet. I will post it on this thread for you. I can email it to you if you prefer.

No hurry, I won’t be back at the table until Monday.

In the meantime - I had a thought about my air supply. If you recall earlier, I was sitting at around 45-50psi during active cutting, but it would pop to 65-70psi on the Razorweld front gauge when initiating a cut. I opened up the machine, and adjusted the regulator so that it was at 65psi during active cutting, but now it pops to around 80-85psi when it initiates a cut. Is it possible that the quick increase in psi is extinguishing the arc? If so, is that a faulty internal regulator?

Some people suggested bypassing the internal regulator and using an external one on the back of the machine. Thoughts on trying that?