IHS and Cutting inconsistency

I don’t. I have a 1/4" quick disconnect there that probably needs to be replaced to help airflow. Will put a gauge there instead and see what it reads.

To improve my cuts when running the razor weld I had to open plasma up and turn up the internal pressure. I would crank it up to 75 resting or 80 if yours drops that low.

1 Like

So your RW gauge reads 65 psi, then once your torch activates it drops to 45 psi?

That’s definitely not correct, you should only see ~5 psi drop, realistically you want to see 70-75psi on that gauge WHILE cutting.

Is that the only gauge on your system that shows a 20psi drop when it’s activated?

I’d try bumping the internal regulator pressure up, but if you look in the forum I had a similar issue and wound up replacing my internal regulator as I determined it was bad.

I’m not saying it’s your internal regulator, it could be anywhere in your system, you’ll need to trace backwards and eliminate possibilities to find why you’re dropping 20psi. You can basically attach a gauge to a blow gun and attach it to different junctions in your air line setup and when you pull the blow gun trigger you can see if it drops 20 psi or not

Here’s where I ran into the same 20 psi drop issue: Cut Quality Help - #21 by mechanic416

After I replaced my internal regulator it went to just a 5 psi drop which is normal (I also had a separate air supply issue that wound up being another regulator I had put in line for testing that was brand new but would randomly stop flowing air, fun times)

1 Like

Just to clarify - system off - RW gauge reads 65 psi. When air is flowing, it drops to 45psi. When initiating a pierce, it pops back up to 65psi momentarily.

The only gauges in the system at the moment is at the compressor and the front of the Razorweld. I am going to upgrade one more line (from the Merlin to the Razorweld) and put a gauge on there.

If I am reading good psi there, then I am going to adjust the internal regulator.

Yea 20 psi drop is bad, you need to find your restriction or failed part that’s causing that.

When your torch turns on and blows air you want to see 65-75psi on that gauge.

2 Likes

OP is talking about the torch rising while cutting and he’s reporting low live voltage. Sounds like there are air issues as well but why has no one mentioned the potential USB interference or operating with a computer plugged in with a grounding plug? That will cause these exact symptoms.

If you have a target voltage set too high or get an incorrect voltage reading the torch will go to the moon trying to hit the voltage.

1 Like

He says he’s using a crossfire xr which I’m under the belief that they fixed the interference problem on. But that’s a good point to check through in the diag

1 Like

Ah, I’m a pro user and have been away from the forums for a bit so I didn’t know that about the interference. I’m still skeptical about the target voltage.

I am fairly certain though that IHS system will raise the torch to try and raise the voltage, so if you aren’t getting that voltage, and the torch is raising and losing arc, that’s where to focus.

1 Like

yea i totally agree, if its chasing that higher voltage its going to be bringing that torch sky high. Good catch, i admittedly sort of skipped his description and focused on his air situation

That’s what’s so difficult about troubleshooting this stuff. Could be both issues.

2 Likes

Update time. I further upgraded my hoses, eliminating as many potential air bottlenecks as possible (I should note - the port on the back of the Razorweld is only 1/4" NPT - not sure why that is even designed that way if 1/2" hose is required to get proper airflow).

I also added an external gauge between the final hose and the Razorweld. Just fired everything up, and the new gauge is reading the same as the compressor (125psi at the moment). However the front of the Razorweld is still showing about 65psi, and it drops down to around 45-50 during active use.

So at this point I am pretty sure my pressure issues are internal to the Razorweld. Any guides out there on how to open it up and adjust the internal psi?

Take the cover off and you’ll find a normal pressure regulator/water separator inside. Turn it up all the way and regulate it with an outside regulator.

1 Like

Owners manual I think has pictures. Hardest part is getting screws out. I would take the cover off turn on plasma hit the air button on the front that makes air run and adjust until you have 70 to 75 while air is running.

2 Likes

Opened up the Razorweld, adjusted the internal regulator up to 75. Ran a series of cuts, psi on the front of the Razorweld stayed up the entire run.

However, this seems to have made my piercing problem even worse. I went from having about 50% of pierces fail, to about 95%.

Arc gets initiated, pierces the work piece fully, but then extinguishes during the transfer.

Thoughts? I have seen a few people mentioned on the forums that they had issues with the solenoid inside the torch, but I really don’t want to mess with taking that thing apart. Should I contact Langmuir to see about a replacement torch?

How long is pierce delay?

0.9 seconds, 0.11 pierce height

Try .5 may be losing arc because piercing faster

I left my laptop at home (which has my ProNest software on it), so I can’t make the adjustment until tomorrow. Think I should move the pierce height back up to the default 0.15 as well?

You can override in fire control. I would only change one at a time.

Change one thing at a time. Also those low pressure firing may have jacked up your consumables. I would look at them also .

2 Likes