I am struglining to get my torch to fire Crossfire pro with razorweld 45 (Solved)

I have been cutting for two weeks or so but now my torch will not fire unless I put old consumables in. but now that has quit working as well. I have bought Hypertherm consumables and they worked for a few days but now the torch just purges air. I checked the relay and it is clicking when I manually fire the torch but no arc. I feel like this is a consumable issue but now even with Hypertherm consumables it will not fire.

Send us a picture of your torch mounted on the machine please.

3 Likes

Thanks for replying.

Torch is mounted incorrectly. Move the bottom clamp up above the line in the pictures I sent you.
There is a pilot arc plunger inside the torch that initiates the arc at the start. By clamping it where you have it you are stopping it from operating.
Take off the cap and you should be able to push up on the electrode and it should snap back down. If it doesn’t move or it gets stuck it won’t fire.
Your problem should be solved.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

As @Bigdaddy2166 said your torch is mounted wrong.

I have went over this more times then I can remember. First you do not have a Hypertherm plasma cutter or a Hypertherm torch so why do you really think Hypertherm consumables will work. Just because someone tells you they will.

The biggest problem with the Hypertherm consumables is the electrode in most cases. (see picture below, Tecmo electrode on left, Real Hypertherm on right) The back or part that goes in toward the plunger is to short. as the plunger pulls back it will leave a small gap between the plunger and electrode and cause arcing to the plunger from the electrode or the air fins will stick to the sides of the plunger bore. This is more likely on a lot of these Chinese copy torch’s. Also unless your using all Hypertherm consumables, Tips, electrodes, swirl rings retaining cups and shields your mixing Chinese aftermarket consumables with good Hypertherm consumables. Of course if your using Chinese copy Hyperthem consumables this may also be causing trouble.

4 Likes

Great comparison report George! Thank you.

Awesome thank you gentlemen. I will adjust my torch and give it another shot. Do you have a good sorce for consumables besides langumires web site? That is what has prompted me to try hypertherm consumables in the first place. I cant find part # or a supplier besides airgas.

1 Like

George’s plasma shop. Mechanic416 on this forum.
He is like plasma rocket scientist. :grin:

3 Likes

Picture of @mechanic416 with his first plasma cutter, circa 1938.

7 Likes

That’s Him.

3 Likes

Wait… Two work clamps???

1 Like

He clips one to his hand and the other to the metal.
He acts as a resistor, bringing the Raw voltage down to 50:1.

7 Likes

I have changed How i’ve mounted my torch and I am still having the same issue. The only consumables that seem to work are part number 420120 and 420118. Are there the proper parts?

Take off the cap and make sure you can push up on the electrode. It should snap back down.

2 Likes

So you don’t have any original rw or tecmo consumables?

1 Like

Those are 30XP tips and electrodes and only rated for 30 amps. What is your air pressure when it is cutting.

3 Likes

I took off the cap and the electrode does spring back. These are the only consumables I currently have. When the machine is cutting, it runs about 45 PSI. Is temco another brand that is excepable to use?

Tecmo is what i ment to type