Hypertherm Powermax 45XP with CNC Port/Machine Torch Compatibiity

So I contacted hypermax and they told me that model number 088131 is not supposed to be sold in the US. Any ideas here? Bakers Gas was gonna order it for me.

My Hypertherm 45xp will be here Monday.

1 Like

Awesome, did you get the 180M/75H kit?

I somehow got my everlast pp60s working. At least for 1/8" steel in cnc. Optimum setting is 30amp, 60psi. 70ipm as before is working ok.

I think the swirl ring direction might matter. I reversed it just now and it seemed to make the cut better. I might have reversed it when the cuts became unpredictable. Either way I am not going to reverse just to test my theory, will continue doing my projects and observe what happens.

1 Like

I did. I ordered the hand and machine torch one. Should be here Monday. Just when I started getting the everlast with the hand torch dialed in. Crazy that your settings are so different from mine. I’m usually running 110ipm, 35 amps and 75 psi. Of course that’s in 16 gauge but not much different that 1/8” really. I totally believe the swirl ring problem is missed more often than not. It was explained in detail and with follow up to be put in incorrectly. I found it was wrong when I used the hand torch on the machine and it worked flawlessly. Also watch the USB cord that you have the one with the ferrite plugs on it. That was causing problems for me as well.

I am sure faster ipm will work for 1/8" steel now that it is cutting properly with correct swirl ring direction.

And I think everlast machines need higher amp than hypertherm. Elsewhere I see that 20-25amp is good for 1/8" steel but for pp60s I needed 30 for solid performance.

And I think even 75psi will work, but now that it works fine for 60psi then I see no need to pass more air. I cut some 1" square they were really clean.

I am still smitten by the 45xp and its gouging/marking capability. Maybe I will break down, sell the pp60s and order the kit. Who knows.

Oh btw, I did try a longer usb cord I had for a printer, it didn’t work, so got one with ferrite cores in both ends and it works well.

2 Likes

ummm…half as thick.

16ga steel is 0.0625 and 1/8" is 0.125

Wouldn’t be surprised if there’s some exponential impact of thickness as the material can absorb more heat (like when welding).

Not what I meant to type. I really need to read more closely what the auto correct and my typing are saying.

Anybody have any good tips for pushing those pin connectors back in? I ended up buying a mech torch and now I wan’t to change back my hand torch. I got the pin out but I can’t seem to get it to push all the way back in. I’ve tried everything I can think of and I only seem to damage the cable trying to jam stuff in there.
Thanks!

I ended up selling the Everlast pp60s and a new 45xp is on the way from bakersgas.com. I got the machine and hand torch combo kit (088123). Didn’t want to experiment with pin relocation so got the machine torch. Will be simple to connect crossfire torch fire cable to the pendant that is included in the kit.

Can’t wait.

1 Like

You will see a noticeable difference, I did. The machine is so quiet compared to the always-on fan on the Everlast. Get the Fine Cut consumables. I used mine for the first time last night and what a difference! I am still running into small bugs here and there. Last night I went to cut and one of my lead screw couplers was loose. just a reminder to check things before you run.

Back to the Hypertherm 45xp. I absolutely love this machine. Gonna try and sell my Everlast as well.

I think we are all glade your doing better with this thing Gunny, we were getting worried about your frustration level for a while there.
I would opt to keep the everlast if it is possible, it is nice to have a second machine around for trimming sheets down into useable pieces without changing the torch to make a quick cut. Just a thought.

1 Like

Yeah thanks. That’s not a bad idea. And yeah I was getting a little frustrated for sure.

Oh my God, the 45xp is such an amazing machine. Glad I got it. Best part is that the arc comes on immediately, while the everlast arc came on after almost a second delay in the start (air not flowing). That made me hand edit the .tap files to have the first P0.6 changed to P1.2, as the subsequent 0.6 sec pierce delay was ok.

Looking forward to making a lot of stuff.

Yeah this thing is the bees knees, lol. Amazing how quiet it is right? The only complaint I have is that it seems to ‘sit’ so long on each pierce. I can count one-one thousand, two-one thousand, three-one thousand and just before four it starts to move. The downside is I get a ton of dross on each pierce and a decently size pierce hole. I’m using the fine cut consumables, and I have tried to change the pierce delay - but it stays the same amount of time no matter what I do.

But I love the machine - absolutely a game changer. Here are some pics from yesterday…

image image

Gunny

2 Likes

It should not wait so long after pierce. I didn’t have any issue, but it does post flow for a long time after the whole cut is finished. I also got a lot of dross, but they can be reduced by slowing down or increasing amps. I will experiment with those params today. I think I was using too less amps (28) and 60ipm. I will try 35 or 40 amps and 80-100ipm for 1/8" steel.

Check the cut charts in the manual, they’re pretty spot-on in my experience. Make sure you match the type of tip you’re using (shielded/unshielded) with the chart - although you should really only use shielded tips with the HT.

yeah, any ideas on the software side on how to reduce the pierce delay. I have ms selected in Sheetcam.

How much pierce delay are you wanting?

Open the .tap file and tell me what you see next to P. For me it is P0.6 for 0.6 sec delay.

Btw I notice that the amp control knob has a little vertical play where it is attached to the unit. If I wiggle it up/down it also moves the LCD display. I wonder if it is normal or something is loose inside.

New thread for those that need it.

Hope that it helps

1 Like