Hypertherm Powermax 45XP with CNC Port/Machine Torch Compatibiity

I want to do the same deal with the 15 degree torch. Just leave it on the table. I have the CPC port also. Did the pin switch and CPC wiring work for you NTKFABWORKS?? How can you tell which pins in the harness are the #6 and #8 position?? Is there a diagram somewhere? I’d rather not hack into the wiring of my expensive plasma machine

So I re-read the screen shots and it does explain the pin locations very well. What wires in the torch handle need connected to each other to overide the safety feature??

1 Like

Bricklef, put your torch back together and zip tie the trigger. Pull the connector plug side pieces off, (you’ll need the pin removal tool I posted above off amazon). Where the pins slide into the machine connector, they’re numbered. The #8 wire is purple, pop it out. It will need extended ~1”, (I used some old wiring from my 4runner’s LS harness). Put it in the #6 hole, put the connector back together, plug it in. Get the cpc plug I also mentioned, cut the connectors off Langmuir‘s plasma control wire, crimp the above mentioned pins on(this will limit the distance your plasma can be from the table when you’re using it, which is why I added the control to mine, plasma can sit across the shop and be used). Put those pins in the #3 and #4 holes in the cpc plug(doesn’t matter which one, they just create a loop). Turn everything on and cut.

2 Likes

THANK YOU!!! I did order everything you specified. The wire from mcmaster-carr showed up the very next day.
I like this solution WAY better than wire taping inside my plasma cutter. I should have everything I need by tomorrow.

1 Like

Haha ya, I use my machine to make a living, I couldn’t justify scotch-locking wires inside it( I absolutely despise scotch-locks in general).

1 Like

Hey ntk are you sure of those part numbers? I think the back clamp piece is the wrong series/size of CPC. I ordered them and the main plug is good but the clamp back part doesn’t thread onto it. Main piece had 15/16-20 thread. I think it should be 206070-8 https://www.alliedelec.com/te-connectivity-206070-8/70042391/![20181005_172413|690x462](upload://okgMwPppmsShIdlb2X1j5XsWDfF.jpg)

Yes, I edited my post in my build thread, forgot to change this one. Just edited it now.

The part number listed here is now correct. Sorry about that!!

You can put the correct clamp on later (I did). The rest of the parts will get you up and running

quick quesiton here hopefully your still responding to this post. You say to pop out the purple wire in #8 and put it in #6. Do you have that backwards? Mine came with the purple in #6 to start. and #8 is empty.

Thanks
Maybe it’s because I have a different torch. yours looks like a 45 degree and mine is a 90

Yes, it won’t let me edit the post. I got the numbers backwards when I typed it, had them backwards in my other post too, but edited it. The purple #6 moves to the #8 hole.

And the torch is their gouging torch, so it’s angled to blow the material away from the users hand. Otherwise, everything else is the same, since it’s still a hand torch. Moving the wire basically bypasses the trigger safety and trigger. Since the trigger is an interrupter in the circuit, it needs to be either eliminated or kept depressed for the circuit to be complete. Doing so, the torch will not fire until the machine is commanded to, via the CPC port.

1 Like

anybody out there got a good source for refurbished Hypertherm torches? $500+ seems a bit steep for torches.

Great thread. My Everlast pp60s suddenly started being erratic (sometimes not cutting through) so I have decided to get a 45xp.

Now this pin removal stuff is something I wish I could avoid.
So If I get the 15 deg torch for table use and put crossfire wires to the CPC port 3 and 4, why will it not fire even if I zip-tie the trigger?

If I want to avoid messing with the #6 pin and get the machine torch, then is the CPC port 3 and 4 shunting sufficient to fire it?

The only thing bugging me about getting machine torch and 75 deg hand torch combo is the need to get two diff consumable kits which can get expensive. What is otherwise the benefit of machine torch vs using this 15 deg torch?

Because Hypertherm has a safety in the hand torch that it needs to know is active. Moving pin 8 fools it into thinking there’s a machine torch connected. It’s one of their safety features. @ntkfabworks did a lot of research into this and posted pretty detailed instructions.

3 Likes

I have the same setup with the Everlast 60s and thinking of getting the Hyp45xp as well. So you have to get two sets of consumables if you get a machine torch and a hand torch??

Yes, the hand torch and machine torches are different and I saw they have different consumable kits.

I guess I will get the 75 deg and 15 deg hand torch kit and just do what @ntkfabworks did with pin movement. I will then connect crossfire torch wires to pin 3 and 4 of CPC port, then ziptie the 15 deg torch trigger to use it as machine torch.

I’m thinking the same thing as well. as much as I’d like to get the machine torch as part of the bundle, I just don’t think buying two sets of consumables is going to be financially doable for me. even though I don’t see me using the hand torch that often other than to cut down larger sheets. still trying to weigh it all. I’m going to try and purchase my torch today.

I could see modifying the hand torch if you had an out of warranty unit. But if you guys are buying new and modify the torch, you’ll probably lose any hope of having Hypertherm help you track down any issues you might run into.

From looking at the chart it’s only the shield that differs for regular cutting. For fine cut there is a different swirl ring too but are you going to be doing fine cut by hand? I’d have to know I would be doing a lot of hand cutting before I would go the route of modified hand torch.

I just chatted with customer support in bakesgas.com.

They have wrong info about machine torch consumable kit. Both hand torch and machine torch uses same electrode and nozzle which will be the most frequent items we would need to buy. This pushes me more towards getting the 180M/75H kit (088123) which will also come with the remote pendant making the wiring super easy.

Also the kit comes with 7 electrode+nozzle extra so no need to get extra consumables right away.

1 Like

Gotta link for that kit?

Machine torch consumable kit with wrong/confusing info on electrodes:

Hand torch consumable kit:

Above hand torch consumable kit is available for $95 if you buy a 45xp kit now. But they said a kit has enough spare nozzle+electrodes to last you for a while.

I was about to pull the trigger on the 088123 (180M/75H kit) but Everlast is saying they will repair my pp60s under warranty and not take it back. They gave some tips to check the torch. I think I might have used too much psi for 1/8 steel at some point. So I am hoping that with less psi it might work, or only the torch head has some damage unless it is the swirl ring, or poor grounding (via cnc table). If I find that my pp60s is afterall ok, I may still try to sell it because I am smitten by the 45xp lol :slight_smile:

1 Like