Hypertherm 30 xp VIM Box RAW Voltage Wiring Quick Guide Pics

Here is a quick guide pics to connect a VIM box ( Raw Voltage ) side to a Hypertherm 30 xp.

5 Likes

Super! That’ll help some of the HT30XP users who haven’t gotten theirs setup yet.

2 Likes

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is great.

Thanks for posting that!

Can you still use the cutter off the table to cut by hand once these modifications are done to it?

There might be some voltage backfeed to the electronics enclosure case when using the hand torch manually with the cables connected to the VIM box, I would recommend to unplug the plasma raw cables from the VIM box and cap the raw cable ends and unplug the hand torch trigger cable from the electronics enclosure case.

How do you connect the cutter to the Pro electronic box on the table. I have done what is shown and I wonder how the table and cutter can communicate. Thanks

There is a cable that goes from the “PV out” port on the VIM box to the THC port on the control box that is attached to the table.

1 Like

If you mean the torch firing connections, this picture shows what you need to know. Hypertherm 30 xp Hand Torch Firing Cable Quick Guide Pic

I hooked up the wires that are pictured . The orange and violet wires go to the table on -off port or to VIM box?That is where I am confused. A you tube video shows that cable going to the on- off port on table. The pics that are shown here go to VIM box .
I still see that the cutter and table have no connection on the latter simulation…
I am 66 years old and get confused on some of this. Lol!! Thanks

The torch on-off goes to the control box on the table.

The only wires that connect to the VIM are the raw voltage positive and negative and the wire that goes from the “PV out” to the control box THC port.

That picture is at a bad angle and the labels cover some of the wires to make it appear that the torch on-off and the PV out wires are the same, but they are separate wires that go to different locations.

1 Like

I have one cable left in the box . It has a jack on one end and a red and black wires on other end . It is a short cable. Where does this cable go?

I have the torch off/ on cable going to the table right now . It was kind of tough pushing it in. The red and black go to the VIM box. Got that. Just need to get THC cable right.

This cable is the divided voltage input cable. You don’t need that, since you are using raw voltage.

This is the cable that goes from the VIM “PV out” port to the THC connection on the control box.

1 Like

Thank you very much . I think I can get it together now. Lol!! This is a great forum because of all the nice people like you guys and gals

1 Like

Thank you so much for this :pray:

Just recently hooked up the plasma raw negative voltage wire (black) and the plasma raw positive voltage (red) as pictured. I already had the hand torch trigger cable wired up to the 30XP.

If I’m correct, the trigger cable still goes to the control box for the table. The red and black raw voltage cables go to the VIM box as pictured. I think I have the output voltage cable that came in the THC box. I’m guessing it goes from the VIM to the control box on the table. Is this correct?

Any pictures of where the output voltage cable goes into the control box? I’m away from the shop right now and just wanted to varify before heading to the shop tomorrow.

I was really worried about this process due to all the talk about the following:

“The VIM box was designed for accepting either raw arc voltage from your plasma cutter or divided low voltage from a CNC Port. We recommend that you only tap into the raw arc voltage of your plasma cutter when it does not have a 50:1 voltage divider in the CNC Port. Most modern plasma cutters will have a CNC port with a voltage divider and you will not need to open up the plasma cutter in order to measure arc voltage. For measurement of arc voltage on plasma cutters without a CNC Port, it will be necessary to manually connect the Raw Voltage Pigtail Cables to the main plasma terminals (see below). For many plasma cutters, a connection to the main plasma terminals (torch and work clamp) can be made from the outside of the plasma cutter. Where access to these terminals is restricted, it will be necessary to open the plasma cutter enclosure to connect to the main plasma terminals. Wiring directly to your plasma cutters high voltage terminals must be performed by a qualified professional (see below). THE MAXIMUM INPUT VOLTAGE FOR THE VIM MODULE IS 300V. DO NOT EXCEED THIS INPUT VOLTAGE! IF YOU ARE UNSURE ABOUT THE VOLTAGE OUTPUT OF YOUR SPECIFIC PLASMA CUTTER DURING CUTTING, CONTACT YOUR PLASMA CUTTER MANUFACTURER FOR COMPLETE SPECIFICATIONS.”"

If it is as simple as the first two pictures, then that was super easy

Langmuir made it fool-proof fortunately.

There are no “extra” ports to mistakenly use.

There is only one single port for a barrel plug to connect to on your control box, and that is for your trigger IE torch on/off -

1 Like