Full 48.75 x 96.75 sheet cut modification - SOLVED

One of my issues with the CF Pro is that it would not do a full width cut on the sheets I get from my steel distributor. These tend to be 48.75 x 96.75 and I would have to manually grind both ends of the cut.

I got to thinking about where the artificial limits were occurring and went about modifying the X-axis to allow for just enough additional width to complete a full sheet cut.

I removed the entire X-axis bolts (4 large and 2 small) and moved this aside. I then cut back the black angle brace almost to the inside bolt hole on both ends. I then reassembled using an elevator bolt on the inside left hole (using what I had I actually cobbled together one short one with an extension to get the right length). This allows travel past the the inside bolt head.

I still needed a bit more on the right, but there is a bearing that hits the right screw bracket. Ideally, it would be great if this bracket could get moved, but that would require a longer screw and more redesign than I was shooting for. I instead carved a groove in bracket (could have been a bit prettier) that got me about 3/16 additional movement. I also cut off part of the inner bolt head to get this room.

Now that I had more travel to the left by almost 1/2 inch, I had to move my indexing jig as well. But when all this was in place, I got 48.902inches of travel which just got me the width I needed for a full sheet cut.

It would be so easy for Langmuir to make some easy mods that would allow the default cut width to handle a full factory steel sheet.

1 Like

Instead of hacking up your machine why didn’t you just purchase a table big enough to handle the size of material you were planning on cutting?

2 Likes

Awesome job of bodging it to fit your needs! :+1:

2 Likes

Do you feel the same about all the other many mods people have done on this forum to improve (at least for them) the Crossfire Pro. I certainly do not view this as “hacking” my machine, and I had no idea that 4x8 sheets of steel were oversize. Should I have bought a $40,000 5x10 machine in your opinion rather than stretch for this usable 3/4 inch?

6 Likes

As a matter of fact I do. Modifications are one thing, hacking is another. So basically your trying to do something on a machine that wasn’t designed for it instead of buying a bigger machine or spending the time to research what you wanted a machine to do. But hey it’s your dime your hacking up.

1 Like

That’s bizarre I’ve never had a sheet that was wider than 48.25 of my supplier.

How many other people out there have their suppliers supplying them with metal that’s 48.75 * 96.75?

Mind you the biggest plate I usually get up at the shop in sheet is 3/8 thick. Maybe the thicker plate comes in slightly oversized sheets?

I am in Canada and the vast majority of the sheet metal I get is made in Canada so that may be that’s a difference.

At least you’re able to make do with the materials that your supplier offers you.
What kind of products and projects do you do in your shop @JPep ?

1 Like

My steel comes from Dillon Steel in Raleigh. Great next day service and only a $15 delivery fee total per order! The largest I can handle in half a garage is 11 gauge at 160 pounds (with a neighbor help to lift).

1 Like

ImaStreetRodder, you are absolutely right. All the folks on the forum should just get this…

and not have to worry about size, cut quality, drag chains, pan welding, larger drains.

Before editing, you said that “Modifications are supposed to be done in a way that they can’t actually be noticed”, so shame on me for using a visible elevator bolt, and woe to those of you that have added wheels, drag chains, drain dimple mods, laser guides and shutoff switches. We see your hacks!

4 Likes

Apparently you didn’t do any research and just bought whatever. Good luck to you

The CFPRO is a great hobby machine… Spend a little more money and buy a XR… If you need to use a whole sheet… And do production work… Thats why they made 3 different machines for 3 different uses. And price ranges … Why not just cut the sheets to fit table ???

CFPRO was made for certain size of sheet… When you bought it didnt you know that ???. Also Langmuir knew what they were doing when they built the machine… Maybe people need to think what they buy… Before they buy it… Not Langmuir’s fault… I spent 2 months doing research before I bought mine… As I say great HOBBY MACHINE !!! Want more from it buy XR or other brand machine !!! Wish you luck with all your MODS Thou ???

I always look at forums like … If you dont want comments on your post dont post… Has always worked for me…

1 Like

Even on my XR I have to rip around 3/4" off of my sheets they will fit on the machine but it will not get all of it without erroring. I have a hand operated plasma machine that i already had before i purchased the table too though.

I think that many folks forget that some of us do not have the luxury of space…something that requires tradeoffs. I am envious of those of you that have large workshop space. I’ve always had space limitations and in my one-half garage I have to accommodate my woodworking and metalworking, including radial arm saw, table saw, workbench, tool storage, TIG welder, MIG welder, welding table, Crossfire Pro, computer station, metal bandsaw, wood bandsaw, air system, air dryer, drill press, three sanders, and wood and metal storage. My point here is that I don’t need a larger machine, and yes, I could use my Hypertherm hand torch or manually cut the end of the cuts…I just wanted to see if I could squeeze a bit more cut width on the CF Pro. Isn’t that why we do our mods…to improve the machine and expand it’s capabilities.

2 Likes

@JPep Jim, do not get to upset with some of the comments…we are all very passionate about the Langmuir brand and our own tables…and to see something like this makes people think you are nuts…
but you are not…you are making use of the space that you have and have done it in the way you feel works best for you.

to some it looks like hacking…but you have done what you feel is best…and you have tried to make it all work and even painted it to make it look less visible again…well done for you.

I understand the need and desire and reality of space…we all ry to get 13 doughnuts in a 12 doughnut box

I will offer some advice on your shop…sawdust getting into woodworking machines is not bad…it can be blown out…but sawdust into electronics is a small fire hazard…not to mention clogs fans…put a piece of filter media over the vents and fans.

the same goes for plasma cutting…the black smoke created has minute metal particles…those particles can get into motors and do extreme damage…

I recommend that you get more filter media and put it over motos intakes and such and clean them once a month…
The other ide is to install some exhaust over the cutting head of the plasma to remove as much as the black dust as you can…there are some ideas here,…I just can’t find the one that might be best for you.

this black dust gets on to everything…and can stain and leave rust marks on wood or ther surfaces with moisture…

but keep going…do what you can…and keep it up!

last think…you are pretty lucky to be getting metal larger than standard 4x8…

You are right about the extra large sheet. That extra .33sf per sheet at $317 a sheet gets me a “free” $3.27 cents, so after I finish cutting only 764 sheets (61 tons) and use every bit of metal I will have paid for my machine with this 1/2" free extra. Thanks Dillon Supply :)!

And I’m really not upset with any of the comments. All are free to express their opinions here.

3 Likes

Hmmm weird commentary really. I will not lie, not being able to cross cut a full sheet was a surprise to me. Yes this is a hobby machine that will cut 4’ across… Yet, as a hobbyist, I have cut more plywood than most, and 4’ x 8’ sheet is 4’x8’. Langmuir knows that steel isn’t that, this hobbyist didn’t as I never bought a “4x8” sheet of steel until I had a CFPro. So the “research” comment is unusual…hard to research a question that never crossed your mind. i.e. I wanted to cut a 4’ wide sheet, this cuts 4’ = check! Research done there.

So my reaction isn’t about this hack, but to say – come on Langmuir make the machine capable of a 50" crosscut…that is very short sighted on their part. Between the computer, cutter, and table two inches is relatively small added cost and one I would have paid a little more to be able to do this, so cost is not a factor.

And cutting the remainder by hand isn’t that big of deal, but there is a bit of an FU when you have to do it.

Thanks for sharing JPep…

4 Likes

But not if it’s MDF.

My metal provider (Online Metals) gives me 48" wide 4’ sheets so the 48.75" you’re seeing isn’t necessarily an industry standard.

1 Like

Nice, I’m here looking for 48"+ not 47.95

I’ve noticed with the notches cut, flat head cap screws in the bushings you’ll gain 1/2" on the left.
Have an 1" of available lead screw and can move the motor and bearing block mount holes 3/4" to the right. To gain 1/2" on the right.

If you are using limit switches, you will need to turn off the soft limits to get even to 48. You might even get the +.