Floor Footprint Size and Clearance Question

Got my machine in boxes now and planning layout. Have around a 8’x8’ area dedicated for the Pro. Can make area bigger if needed. Looking for suggestions. Clearance around machine? Off walls on side and rear? Anything else you think is important? Thanks

12’…clearance to any flammables… preferable on an island of sand with a 8’ water moat around you…and an oxygen depleting fire suppression system installed …

really…not much to worry about… many of the guys have tables in wood barns…the major concerns are the fumes and smoke…you are burning metal…ventilation…ventilation…ventilation…

2 Likes

Thanks, looking more for clearance for ease of use. Loading, maintenance, repair, and etc.

some people have a caster setup that allow you to roll it around to service it…
you need to be able to get to the side to clean and work on your drive shafts…other than that…not much space is needed.

1 Like

Thanks, caster sounds good. Or maybe a pallet setup to move if needed with pallet jack.

Yeah I have been running mine next to sheetrock in the garage and sometimes it gets a little splash but overall I just make sure nothing is flammable in the immediate area of the table

^ this for sure. I use mine in the garage. We’re in the middle of a lot of trees - oaks mostly. I get lots of dried leaves blowing into the garage. So I make sure I sweep those out (as well as any sawdust if I’ve been doing any woodworking) before firing the Crossfire up. You’ll churn out a lot of sparks, most will get captured by the water table but it’s possible to get something hitting flammable materials. Not likely and a remote chance, but a chance nonetheless.

one of the guys here bolted trailer jacks to the legs to lift and roll it out…cool idea

1 Like

I like the casters and or jacks but I am afraid that I may accidently put a slight twist in the table and create binding problems. I can slide an 8’ piece of material all the way through to the end. But I am better off having it pre sheared or I will use a slitting disc on my 4 1/2" grinder and cut it in half. A full sheet of 11ga is about 180#. A couple of feet around the sides and a little more on the left where the cutter will be… NOTE, when you get your machine together you may want to protect the Ball screws on the sides. I used my machine to cut some brackets and bolted 2 !/2" angle Iron over the Ball screws. You will need plenty of clean dry air and a 220 hook up for the cutter, do not skimp on the wire size. Do not let the wires that you will have between the control, cutter, and lap top become tangled, keep them separate as much as possible to prevent electrical interference. If you have the lap top stand; isolate the lap top from the metal stand. I used a piece of 3/8" OSB with a front stop to keep things from sliding off . I used 3/4" piping for my air supply. All fittings are High Flow that I bought from Menards. Use a good filter at the end of the air line. Dirt and moisture are your enemy.

1 Like

I have my OG 2x2 in my woodshop, but have it surrounded on three sides with a fiberglass welding curtain. One size is against a wall and the other two sides I can drop down using line and clam cleats when I’m using the table. I also have it on casters so that I can pull it out to get a full shot at the Y axis and I’ve cut up to 72" patterns with it using Indexing. So, yeah, casters are good for access and for the occasional large sheets.

1 Like