My machine gets here in march!

Well I ordered my machine yesterday and it’s supposed to be here in April. I started creeping on the forums here and before I did I believe my garage was completely ready to except this new machine. I was wrong. You all have made me and my 110 Air compressor feel very in adequate. So to make myself feel better I went and purchased a minion from tractor supply on sale. I now have to go through and rearrange my entire panel to run another 240 line to my garage. Can you help full folks help out a guy with understanding what size breakers I should be using for the razor weld 45 and my new minion compressor?

1 Like

A 20A circuit is sufficient for the Compressor. I can’t comment on the RazorWeld.

it should tell you in the owners manual what size is required for the cutter…

If you have some details you can provide on what you have, that would help. Welcome to the forums! If you have 50a 240v going to garage currently, you are probably ok and may just need an additional receptacle. If it’s a 30a circuit (10ga) then you’ll probably need another 30amp run. Easier to run a 50/60+ amp branch to a subpanel and split it from there.

I do not have a 50A. the outlet I run my plasma cutter and welder on is a 40A. Probably just going to run a new 30A for the new compressor.

Is there anything else besides the compressor that I should be prepared for. I want to take the time between now and April to make sure my garage ready to go so I’m not messing with my garage set up when I just want to play with the plasma cutter.

Could someone advise on what space I need? (height, width, depth) I have to reconstruct a section of shelving where the table will go and I want to make sure I have plenty of room to work without having to unnecessarily remove useful shelving. I know what the dimensions of the table are but I’m more looking for what’s kind of space I realistically need to work around the table. Maybe you guys with a small shop could help me out here.

This may help some

Floor Footprint Size and Clearance Question

2 Likes

A welder. Sooner or later you’re going to want to cut things that you then want to put together. Even if you’re just doing art projects, being able to weld hangers on the piece is super useful. I use a 220V spot welder for that. For other welding I use a TIG welder. Both use the same power outlet as the plasma.

Also an angle grinder and a supply of flap discs and even cutoff wheels will be useful. The other useful tool is an outfeed roller stand so you can support longer pieces that extend off the table.

You may have all of that already but just in case :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

a soaking tank…or a cleaning area…I have a tank filled with vinegar to soak my metal in after I cut…before I paint…removes scale…dross…and a wire brush is all that is needed after before you paint…

1 Like

James I do have that stuff. I have a beginners fabrication shop in my garage. A plasma table, tubing bender, and grub hub will ensure I never leave my garage again.

Toolboy I saw that soaking tank idea in a YouTube video and forgot about that till you mentioned it. I will definitely be doing that. Thanks.

1 Like

mine will be 36 x 36 x 3 wide and will have a sealed top…with a recirculating filter pump…longer lasting vinegar then…

what kind of filter are you going to be using?

cheap water filter…5 micron…with small pump…what ever I can find…

@toolboy how is the odor with the vinegar tank? I’d like to see what you come up with.

right now I just have a shallow pan that I soak my stuff in and then put the vinegar back into containers.

the plan is to use some old stainelss steel I have to make something…3’ high…3’ deep and 3" wide at the top…the lid will seal with a gasket and have a air-lock stopper to allow it to off gas a bit…but have a sealed circulation system with a filter…
all that will reduce any real fumes from the vinegar bath…

going to build it this summer when I finish my new garage…build my powder coat over…and build my benches…and build…and build…

You forgot any honey-do list items

actually that is why I am building my garage…got most of it done over the last few years…MY TURN!!!

1 Like

I have one of those plastic under bed storage bins from Walmart - sterilite or one of those manufacturers. I just leave the vinegar in - the cover seems to keep the smell in until I open it up. It’s great prep even when bead blasting because it’s less time in the blasting cabinet. I usually batch stuff so it sits in the vinegar overnight and the mill scale just wipes off.

Hey Everyone. Table built, yeah! Working on my air system. So far I have a 60gal 11.5@90psi compressor a trio type regulator, dissecant , water separator, a Motor Gard M60 (it has 1/2 pass through pipe) and 1/2 in tubing reduced from 1 inch coming out of the compressor. Everything I read and thought I understood says make sure you don’t restrict the air flow. I chose 1/2 piping for my setup as at our PSi and length of pipe there isn’t any advantage of anything bigger it will move the amount of CFM just fine. Ok, now I am at the outlet side of the M60 the whole thing from the compressor being 1/2. Then I am supposed to reduce that down to something that will fit a 1/4 NPT air fitting that fits the Razorcut 45. After all that work to make non restricted air available, I need to reduce to 1/4. Will that affect the air flow significantly? Was all the 1/2 stuff all the way to the MG60 needed? Should I change out the MG60 to a MG26 and reduce before the MG26? Thanks for any advise. BTW, I got my table boxes over the last month. It took me 4 nights to assemble, still don"t have my Razorcut45 yet ( I ordered in November) anyone else in the same boat?

1 Like

That air is going to restrict down to 1/4 and even smaller in the plasma tip. 1/2" is good to make sure you have plenty of volume available - keep it 1/2 or 3/8 as much as possible up to the plasma and you shouldn’t have any issues. Congrats on getting the table built! Sounds like you’ve got a good setup there…

1 Like

The how much room do I need question always makes me :rofl:

Great to hear build is going good