DIY dimple die available to anyone needing it

Well now that you have been successful I guess the next obvious question is whether you are willing to make these and offer them at a price that covers your time, materials, and shipping? Anyone that already has a 3D printer can make there own or even offer to make them for others for a reasonable fee.

By the way did you happen to measure the hole dia pre and post the dimple? Also from you pic the drain appears to be about 1/16” below flush which means the depression could be less which would reduce the hole growth

no sorry I didn’t measure the hole. I think I’ll differ to Etsy if anybody is looking to purchase a print online. With your file I think any of them are probably already setup to print, and do all the shipping (and taxes) stuff. I’m more of a hobbiest :wink:

Understand completely! Still what you have proven should open the way to increase the number of dies available.

1 Like

So based on Chip’s success with the 3D printed version, the folks wanting to use the die can either stay on the list and wait for their turn to get the steel one, print their own if they have access to a 3D printer, or send the cad file to a 3D printing service such as https://www.etsy.com/listing/664904514/3d-printing-service-quick-and-reliable?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=3d+printing&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&organic_search_click=1&frs=1&bes=1

I’m still waiting on chrisnyc to confirm whether his printed version worked so I’ll know who to send the Mod2 die to. I assume Forx is no longer needing it

Nope I don’t need it thanks!

I posted my results in the Mod 2 thread:
https://forum.langmuirsystems.com/t/pan-drain-dimple-die-mod-2/13000/16

I think the PLA printed version I made works well enough so I can be removed from the list. Thanks for all your work Dan!

While the flat wasn’t as pronounced as the steel version it is still far better than what you get with the Mod1 so I’m glad to see the printed version will work. My drains were in the hardware box so you might want to start looking there

I have the version 1 die and am finished with it today. Not sure who’s next on the list but PM and I will send it out.

i used a milwaukee 3" knockout cup with a 2.5" cutter turned backwards so it did not cut into pan. tools of the electrical trade. turned out better than i expected. ill post pics as soon as i figure out how

2 Likes

I 3d Printed dbrub2’s mod2 files and made a cylinder to fit my bolt and line up the two parts. I used Super Lube synthetic grease and made some plates real quick for the ends to keep the pressure uniform as possible. The 3d printed part didnt change shape or fracture at all.

3 Likes

Wow, that looks really good and exactly what you want the dimple to look like. You should offer to send it around like the steel version so people on the list don’t have to wait so long.

I’m more than willing to send this out. I just need to know where to send it out to. It should last a while if people aren’t over torquing it. Thank you again for sharing this model.

If you go to the topic “Pan Drain Dimple Die Mod2” on the very first page just under the video pic there is a box labeled “links”. In this the one that is Google Docs is a spreadsheet of people that have signed up to get the steel one. Each person that gets the die uses them to form their table drain hole then ships the due to the next person on the list. Shipping cost is worked out by each.

If you want one of us could post in that topic that a second die is available.

Huge thanks for being willing to share your super cool 3D printed die with others…just the way this forum should operate!

1 Like

Sounds good. I’m going to print out 3 extra sets of replacement plastic parts to ship along on its journey. I have no idea how long the printed parts will last mainly because other people willing be using them.

Well I got the 3 extra sets of plastic parts but it looks like the list is caught up.

I just made two sets too. Just because :slightly_smiling_face: Mine are resin printed so 100% solid. Anyone wants a set, give me a shout.

I gotta believe if forum members knew they would jump at the chance. Perhaps this topic has become “old news” maybe a new topic should be started explicitly indicating MOD 2 style dimple dies are available!!

I 3D printed one of the dimple dies and it worked fine with the default drain, however I’d like to get a drain with a larger fitting. I ordered this 1/2 NPT one that someone had suggested elsewhere (https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/product/~product_id=23-110), however turns out that the head of this is actually smaller than the hole after using the dimple die. Other than fabricating one (which I’m not sure I have the tools or skills for) does anyone know a commodity one that would work? That particular part doesn’t appear to come in 3/4" NPT

1 Like

Did you print the Mod2 design or Mod1? Mod 1 design can make the hole too large which is why Mod2 design was created.

I believe it was the Mod2. Note that the default drain fits, the hole just happened to widen enough that the 1/2” NPT one I posted above didn’t work. I think I found a solution from Amazon that I’ll post when I test it out.