Pan Drain Dimple Die Mod 2

I did a 100% infill 3D print of Dan’s dimple die in PLA and it seems very solid, I think this will work. I need to find / fabricate some backing washers and will give this a try. Probably not till this weekend when I’ll be able to get some shop time.

With Dan’s permission this could be a good way to distribute the dimple die to multiple folks being easily replicated and light in shipping weight.

Forx - Thanks for the tips on printing from Fusion 360.

IMG_0982

2 Likes

Hey Rodney, I’m sure someone in line will get you the die. I’m really hoping the 3d printed version works…it will greatly expand the availability of the die sets. I started working on the new drain fittings…it is easy to create the 1/2" NPT threads in a blank before cutting the external threads but the nut Langmuir provides is 1" x 8 threads/inch. That results in some pretty deep threads to the point that there is little meat between the root of the external thread and the root of the 1/2" NPT internal thread. If I go to 1-1/8" x 7 TPI then we eliminate the thin wall but then requires new nut and sealing washer so I’m still thinking. The brass material is over $40/ft which I think I could get 10 from so about $4 each. Nuts are $3 each and sealing washer $.50. Since I dont have a CNC lathe the labor is a killer. I’ll know more if I make a couple but I’m afraid they would wind up being about $35 each in low quantity. Thats why I’m still trying to find a way to mod the current drains by finding a solution to holding them while turning the 1/2" NPT threads. If I can make a fixture then It would be pretty easy

Dont need my permission…if this works it will be a huge deal…you might be running the 3d printer in overtime!!! In fact, Im sure a number of folks on this forum have 3-d printers so you may consider offering the STL or DXF file to anyone interested.

1 Like

I printed these out last night using PETG at .2mm layer height and 95% infill. Picked up the washers (2 of 1" and 2 of 5/8" @ $2.33 for the 4 pcs), bolt (9/16-18x2 @$2.99) and nut (9/16" @ $1.49) at Tractor Supply today. I think it worked well, I used 100ft/lbs and got a pretty good dimple

Started by snugging the die up between the washers and moved it around to get reference marks on the pan and then centered it between the marks I had made.

Jim

1 Like

Excellent! I can’t really tell from the pic…did it leave a flat where the drain lip sits?

It did not create the flat like the metal ver 2 die does. it is more like the results you were getting with the first version. I tried to do it again with even more pressure and it broke the female side of the mold apart.

That’s disappointing but a great experiment. I guess that reverse bend to make the fiat is where most of the bending force occurs

Has anyone experience tearing of the sheet metal when attempting to dimple the pans? I have my pans in hand, and have turned a set of flat bottom dimple dies, but when I’ve tested it (on 24 gauge, so admittedly significantly thinner), the steel tore on both sides of the hole. I want to nail this down before I risk butchering my pans. I’ll try to round up a chunk of 20 gauge to test on a like for like sample.

it would seem to me, and I do not do much metal bending and such, but the thinner the metal the less there is to stretch…thus this metal would tear…or rip due to less material…out of the posts and pistures here I dont think I have ever heard of that problem.

1 Like

How can I get on the list for the Mod 2 die. I am putting my table together at the moment and would love to be able to use this.

Toolboy is correct. The majority of metal stress occurs at the edge of the hole. As the dimple deforms the metal around the hole has to stretch considerably. We see that as evidence of how much the diameter of the hole increased in the demo video. If the material is thin there is less material available to provide the slip needed to stretch so the material tears.

Been thinking (dangerous use of time :slightly_smiling_face: ) the amount of hole growth is directly related to the depth of the dimple. Even Mod 2 with its restricted dimple depth still results in the drain being below the pan surface by at least 1/16”. It needs to only be flush to get a complete draining so if I reduced the dimple depth it should reduce the hole growth. I finally got my last box this week so am going to start my build but I may take a break and turn another die with less dimple and see what the difference in hole diameter growth is

Question to the folks on this forum that have been around for a while. Is there a good way to start and maintain a list of people wanting to get the Mod1 or Mod2 dimple die? The good thing about the tables is that the mod can be done anytime…it doesn’t have to be done before building and using them. Even if the first few times you have to use brute force to mop up the water remaining in the pan. But for those wanting to use the die what is the best way to maintain a list? Names need to be added, removed, etc. on the fly. Should a new topic be created specifically for this?

As a starting point my best guess at the order of people to get the Mod 2 die is as follows:

chrisnyc
Forx
Rodsystel
jmersereau
Jameygene
BushRiverRacing

If I’ve missed someone or screwed up the order please correct me. As soon as Chris tests his 3D printed version to see if it works I’ll send to the next in line. If Chris’ version works it would go to Forx, if it doesn’t work it goes to Chris. Whoever it goes to then needs to forward to the next person in line.

I should be able to get to the shop tomorrow and give the PLA printed die a go. I had high hopes for this until jmersereau did his test using a PETG printed die which I believe has a higher PSI rating than PLA. We shall see.

Yep…knew you were gonna try this weekend…fingers crossed but based on Jim’s results not banking on it!

Guess you need to buy a metal 3D printer😈 price is coming down…should be only couple hundred K by now!

2 Likes

You could link to a Google Sheet (spreadsheet) or create a post here as a “wiki” and people can update the post as they get the die and pass it on or if they want to get in the list. In a wiki post the original post can continue to be updated without adding additional messages & replies to the string of posts.

Bill P created a Google docs spreadsheet. As of now only I can edit but I think I will pass the edit authority to the next person in line after I ship the die then they can update the sheet and then pass edit authority on to the next person. I’ll post the sheet shortly.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1eGO1AF_yXU5d-nFg8Qq0rdzAi1N_-P11eTfpaLMWDd8/htmlview

1 Like

How do people add themselves to the list then?