Cutting area is smaller than expected

So, yeah, I know I should have measured before but… The specs say a cutting area of 48.25" x 33.3". However, I have a piece of 48" on the table now and from hard stop, (you know, " klunk whirr" to hard stop, I measure 46.5" x 33.125".
Now, obviously, I still love my table but wtf? I gotta go redraw o WHOLE bunch of stuff and I’m going to end up wasting a lot of 1/4 inch plate, not to mention that my cuts will no longer fit on a single 4x8.

Are you measuring with a measuring tape or reported values from the system - If everything assembled and aligned properly you should have darn close to the spec.

1 Like

After hitting the stops while dry running a file, I whipped out the tape.

Danny Downs, (who, apparently has no life outside of supporting boneheads like me!), had the answer. I switched the X axis bearing mount with the Y when I built it. (Of course the TABLE cut everything I asked if to despite my screw up) Kudos to the LS team!

3 Likes

Interesting. I was thinking of asking others if they are able to rip a whole sheet, because I keep having to cut the last .5 inch with my grinder.

I have yet to load a sheet that is 48”. They have all been over , some up to 1/2”. I have a fence on the left side to align the sheets square to the y axis with the ability to edge start if needed. I’ll straight cut across the x and if any is left I can usually cut it with a pair of side cutters.

Yep, if it’s 48", I can do it. 48-1/2"? Cutoff wheel time, (side cutters would have taxed my old hands tonight, cutting 1/4") :grin:

1 Like

can you show us your fence setup? I’m wanting to build a feed table so I can just keep sliding the 4x8 sheets into the plasma table as needed…

1” square tube mounted with 3/8 all thread, double nutted as needed. Tramed in to .001 with a dial indicator riding on the carriage along the y axis. Use a second piece of 1” as a spacer along the fence when bringing the sheet in then remove before cutting. Someone else had already done this on the forum so I can’t take all the credit. Can’t think of his name at the moment. image image

2 Likes

Don’t know why the pics loaded sideways. Hope you get the idea.

1 Like

May have been me? Here is the thread with some more pictures:

1 Like

Yep , it was your post. Thanks for responding, I want to give credit where credit is due.

I know this might sound stupid.i believe I am having the same problem how could you tell the difference between the 2 Bering mounts??

The two "Y axis mounts are right at 2-1/4 inches, the single X is about 1-13/16. Sorry, no precision measuring device available right now

1 Like