Cut Quality Help

Try increasing speed more and definitely need more air.

1 Like

Ok, I’m gonna wait until I fix this air regulator issue in the Razorweld unit as it’s really aggravating. I’ll try bumping up speed at that time.

In the meantime here’s my first attempt at powdercoat

2 Likes

Put the new pressure regulator in, same issue randomly. I’m trying some things out might have a bad fitting somewhere, it’s driving me nuts tbh. The new regulator works better tho, only drops ~4-5 psi when activated and working properly.

But I am cutting 16 gauge much better, decided to just bump the amps up and see what happens, instantly much better. Honestly may just grab a hypertherm setup, this RazorWeld works fine but I feel hypertherm would just be much easier.

Cut a sign for a friends barn, looks great only minimal cleanup needed, curing in the powder oven now

3 Likes

Here it is fresh out of the oven, base coat of Smoked Chrome with Candy Orange top coat. First time ever doing a 2 coat still gotta learn it, a bit too much powder used it globbed up a bit. Smoked chrome was a bit too dark for orange I think

3 Likes

Looks great from here!! I like the file too… Always keeping an eye out for horse stuff… I have a daughter that decided she liked jumping those big hunks over rails and such…LOL :racehorse: :racehorse: :racehorse:

1 Like

So big step, I decided to bypass my motor guard filter and the short hose and regulator between it and my plasma. Ran hose straight to my plasma. Haven’t had a single pressure drop issue since doing that.

Now I just have to determine if it’s the filter or hose or regulator. Weird that the regulator was showing me 120psi the whole time so I’m sort of leaning towards it being the issue, I’ll remove it from the loop tomorrow and see.

Cutting much better and I can actually see a difference in my cuts when changing stuff. Built up a test coupon with 100-150ipm lines on it, gonna cut that out tomorrow and see what looks best, feel like I’m close to getting it as good as possible

1 Like

Ok here’s a test plate Left is 100ipm it goes in 10pm increments up to 150ipm

130ipm looks to be the sweet spot.

But now I’m having this weird leadin issue that I gotta figure out, it’s the first .25” of the cut
I have it set to 0 lead in with a .5s pierce delay and .08in pierce height. I’m guessing just need a longer delay

Yep. Start by changing it to 1s and then back it down to where it doesn’t blow out the start but is still clean on the initial cut.

1 Like

Yea I ran another test plate going from like .55-1.0. .7 wound up being best, and .12 pierce height seemed best too.

I actually think it’s pretty dialed in now, seems my air issue was the biggest problem, it cut great all night with 0 issues!

2 Likes

Excellent. Glad you’ve got it sorted out.

1 Like

So my air issue is definitely fixed, I cut this out in 1 shot not a single drop in psi which would’ve never happened before. Dross was pretty minimal and easy to clean up.

Thank you everyone for your time and advice!

2 Likes

What gauge metal is that and what were your final settings?

That’s 16g
Final settings:
45A, 130ipm, .7 pierce delay, .12 pierce height, .05 cut height

I may go back and mess with the amps as I’d like to use the finer consumables and I think it’ll work now that my air is solved, but for now it’s cutting well so don’t want to fiddle with it too much

3 Likes

That looks fantastic.
Have you played with cut speed? 130 seems slow for 16 gauge.
I cut 14 gauge at 190 no dross at 45 amps 70 psi air.

1 Like

Yea I posted the test coupon up a few replies, showing 100-150ipm. At 150ipm you could see dross coming back into it from being too fast. At 130 it’s been pretty consistently clean, on detailed sections I get a bit of dross buildup that I think is normal. I honestly can’t say I know what a “good normal” backside of a cutout looks like so I’m just assuming it’s good really

Gotcha, I must have missed that. Sorry

Ok so probably the final update here. Removed my tester regulator and reattached my motorcraft filter, the air drops are still gone so seems the thing I put on to test for air press drops caused and even worse one, lol 2 bad regulators in 1 try.

But now with everything hooked back up and everything set properly it is cutting pretty great, I actually re-enabled THC which has really cleaned up a lot of the cuts.

Here my most recent cut

8 Likes