Cut 60 consumables question

the hand torch

The last thing I would say is unhook everything from the plasma cutter and the table. Put in a new electrode and cutting tip. Take a like 6" x 8" piece of scrap metal and zig zag cut it up by hand that should take about 1 minute. then check the cutting tip and see if it looks the same. If not then there is something wrong with the wiring from the plasma cutter to the table.

1 Like

This is from 1 cut

with all new consumables and everything disconnected from machine.

Replace the retaining cup. If that don’t do it then it is most likely the torch may be bad.

1 Like

I changed out the retaining cup with the same results. Primeweld is sending me a new torch. I will let you know how it goes.

1 Like

I got the new torch today. Still having the same problem. I also added a motor guard filter and a bigger desiccant dryer just in case some moisture was causing it. Still getting the same results.

I don’t thing its a water issue.

I know its Friday but if you want to call me today or Saturday I need to talk to you about some thing that will not make sense on here. If you want to wait till Monday that will be Ok also.

George
302-690-6995

3 Likes

Looks like the ground is intermittent . When the ground is bad the pilot arc uses the torch ground and will cause the internal arcing and if that does not turn off then it will damage the torch parts in short order.

2 Likes

It ended up one of the air solenoids inside the Cut60 was cutting the air out momentarily when switching from pilot arc to cutting. I ended up getting a new unit but haven’t gotten to use it much yet due to a faulty pressure gauge.

1 Like

I’m a little confused by some of the commentary in this thread. Your first pictures look horrible, @jeffry . Then @JDE commented that his machine did this when the consumables started to wear. Your last pics don’t look bad at all, but then you still wound up getting your cutter and torch replaced?

My Cut60 with the Primeweld/Tecmo machine torch is doing this same thing, and my consumables look somewhere between your first and last pictures with very little time on them, though I did have a bad cut height issue that I have only just resolved.

How did you and Primeweld determine that you had a bad air solenoid. I want to make sure I get a new cutter while I’m within my warranty period if this is a defect. Did this issue materialize in any other ways?

Thanks,

Casey

1 Like

I had the same question because I also have a Cut60 + PW Tecmo. I have been getting mis-fires right in the middle of an otherwise perfect looking cut.

Since there is so much info on this site about wet air causing issues and I had a meager drying plan, I stopped cutting and am beefing my air dry system.

I just pulled the tip off my torch. Minimal usage on this tip. It looks much worse than @jeffry pic.

I hope the pic doesn’t make @mechanic416 George feel sick this close to lunch time!

You sure have a problem. The electrode must also be bad by the looks of the cutting tip.

2 Likes

You guys need to think outside the box. Increase your torch air pressure to 70 psi consumable’s will last longer and no misfires.

2 Likes

@rat196426 Good point .

It’s true a higher air pressure would compress the plunger spring more and create a larger gap between the electrode and the nozzle.

I’m also wondering if there’s something besides air in the airstream is making that air gap between the electrode and nozzle a better path to arc between?..

2 Likes

I figure I’ll also post this info in this thread, too. My consumables looked exactly like @Wsidr1 ’s before my Cut60 completely died. I’ve only been using it for a couple of weeks. Primeweld is sending me a new unit, but I thought my experience was still worth sharing in this thread…

I talked to Gene at Primeweld, who told me that if I was using my plasma cutter on a water table, there wouldn’t be much I could do to prevent the torch arcing internally, @mechanic416. After looking at my pictures, Gene said this amount of arcing was not normal.

@TinWhisperer & @rat196426, Gene actually told me to try reducing my air pressure to reduce the amount of water that gets splashed on the torch. I’m not saying that you guys are wrong, but in my other thread we discussed the warnings about air pressure in the manual (not to go over 90psi at the back of the machine), and I’m glad I didn’t exceed them, as now I have a warranty claim. Anyway, I thought the recommendation to lower air pressure was interesting, and worth mentioning.

3 Likes

As far as the air and water slashing. My ht65 maxed out on air pressure at 78 psi that is as high the machine will let it go. I also have a rw45 that I cranked up to 80 to cut some 3/4. I have been running on a water pan for 2 years I have never seen arcing like that or any to think of right off. There may be a design difference. I honestly wonder if he wasn’t trying to just smooth things over ( or make excuses)

2 Likes

That’s kind of how I felt as he was saying it, @Phillipw. Thank you for the confirmation that this arcing is completely abnormal.

1 Like

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Been busy at work.

I was having the same exact problem. The first set of pictures was from around 5-10 min of actual cutting. The following pictures were from single cuts with brand new consumables.

I tried upping the pressure to 75psi with 120psi coming into the machine with no change. I also tried a different compressor with an air dryer also no change. Primeweld sent me a new torch as well… no change.

What I found was while the machine was switching from pilot arc to cutting the air was cutting out for a fraction of a second. I would start cutting and about 1/4 inch into the cut I was hearing a click from the machine. The same click you hear when turning on the air to adjust pressure only the air was already on.

Primeweld ended up replacing the unit and I haven’t had any problems yet. The click defiantly went away and the consumables look much better.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

I honestly can’t say you know what is normal for one may not be normal for another. I am by no means a expert but I don’t think it is normal. I am sure they will get you fired back up.

1 Like