Cut 60 consumables question

Could you post a picture of what the inside of the consumables are supposed to look like, after a few cuts, @jeffry? Sorry to thread-jack, but I’m curious as more people see this, how prevalent an issues this actually is…

Ill take some pics when I get off work tonight.

I’ve been curious myself on if this was an isolated issue. I did a lot of research before purchasing the cut 60. I really couldn’t find any negative reviews. I also have the Primeweld mig180 and i’ve never had a problem with it.

1 Like

These aren’t from a Cut 60, but they are from the Tecmo PTM60 torch on my Everlast 52i. They have over 300 pierces and were still running fine when I swapped them out to start a new job with several hundred pierces.

Those look normal. The electrode shows a hint of moisture, but not bad.

2 Likes

Well shoot. I thought maybe what I had was normal, but now it seems perhaps my mediocre tip life ever since new has a culprit. My nozzles have generally looked the same after a very short period of time even if they still cut pretty OK. I’m going to do some investigating and see if all the details are actually the same when I do some tests with new consumables. I’m sure my Cut 60 is out of warranty, but maybe if I have the same known issue I can find out what the replacement part is and get one ordered.

Post the results of your investigation. I probably have the same issue. I’m adding drying first as I needed it anyway.

Well, I’m not sure what to think. I do have what seems to maybe be extra clicks in my relay when the machine switches from the pierce to cutting, which I think was a symptom you mentioned, but only sort of, on mine it happens between the initial pierce and as it goes down to cut height, not after the cut has started.

That said, I looked at my consumables at 300 pierces and 20 minutes of cutting mixed steel from 7ga to 16ga, and they really don’t look too bad. I think maybe what I thought was a consumables lifespan problem early on was really just a learning curve issue. Little things like forgetting to turn the air on once, or not putting a little silicone lube on the sliding part of the nozzle assembly had a more outsized impact to consumables life than I realized. I’m pretty solid about remembering to cross all my T’s and dot my I’s now, and without realizing it have gotten to a much better lifespan, or at least that’s my interpretation as of right now.

I’ll update if something pops out as odd, but I’ll assume the extra clicks I’m hearing aren’t really extra, just normal, and I was a newb to plasma which caused poor consumable life.

Carry on.

I was having the same issue with my cut60. Make sure your air is dry. Also check the o ring where the torch lead plugs into the machine. Mine was stuck in the hole where the air to the torch is supposed to go!

3 Likes