Cannot select contour (Solved: body in XZ plane)

Hello,

I hope somebody can help me out,
the small part drawing attached, i can not select the contours whatever I try,

regards

Eddy

Oog Joris.step (15.8 KB)

not exactly sure what your doing but i changed it into a sketch for you can work with it. See if this is what your wanting…

If you want something different just need a little more details on what you want.

Oog joris - sketch v1.dxf (153.1 KB)

1 Like

Thanks,

But I do not understand why you changed the file to dxf, normally I go ( in fusion 360) from the designed drawing to manufacturing and make my setup en cutting file.

Only with this drawing it didn’t work.

I also see that the nc file is very long now, normally for such a drawing it schould be only a few lines .

Eddy

Hey Eddy, Welcome to the forum!

I just loaded Don’s dxf file into F360, Extruded it, went to Manufacture and I had no problem selecting the Face (contours). Do you normally Extrude before you go to Manufacture? If not, try it on this sketch and see if that helps.

In Design, just hit “E” and enter a value about metal thickness (not critical). Then go to Manufacture.

2 Likes

You are not able to select the face contour because your body is in the XZ plane and it is in the middle of the body. If you move the plane of the body to the surface and pick the XZ plane then you will be able to pick the face contours.

Now when you got to the toolpath, the face selection works.

3 Likes

I changed to DXF so you could do whatever you wanted with design. I don’t normally take a .step file to manufacture as you’re doing. I normally do modifications with design if using step file.

1 Like

Thanks, now I see, how can I be so stupid,

Regards,

Eddy

1 Like

Thank you to help me out

Regards,

Eddy
Problem solved

1 Like

That situation has tripped me up about six times in the past. This was the first time that I finally guessed what was going on before I looked at it.

In the past I would have normally done what Don did.

You are not stupid. Fusion 360 throws you curve balls and eventually you start to understand what is going on. I used to watch a lot of videos on YouTube and the poster would say “Oh, it is throwing me an alert but ‘WE’ were expecting that.” I would say to the screen “WE were???..No I wasn’t!..What do you mean “YOU” were expecting it?..Don’t we need to fix it?..What is going to happen now?”

Fusion 360 is like a robot that has a certain set of rules. It likes order and will not guess what the designers intent was once you click your next point. In that respect, it is flawless in its design: It does not make mistakes.

One thing for certain: If this ever happens again, you will be on guard for it.

Have a good day. (I will mark this solved)

3 Likes

I used a step file because I normally do not design in Fusion but in Shapr 3D, so I had to export from shapr

1 Like