Burned hole in my water pan

Totally self inflicted. Cutting .750 plate @ 80 amps with my Everlast 82i. I’m guessing that my travel speed of 21ipm and 75 psi blew the water out from under the plate? The pan was full of water too. The parts came out perfect though!

Made a new pan this weekend from 11ga 308 stainless in one piece. Hopefully this will solve the problem.
I may lay down a buffer plate on the bottom next time I’m cutting so slow.

Posting this so some of you guys don’t have this happen to you!

5 Likes

We need the pics of the burnt Pan and the perfect parts. :camera_flash:

2 Likes

Sorry to hear you loused-up your water pan. From day one I put down a 1/16" Stainless buffer plate at the bottom. It is gapped 1/4" from the pan’s floor by a few 3/8" SS nuts on which it rests. Also serves as a baffle to prevent the geyser effect when the pump comes on to fill the pan. …Yeah, I wanna see those 3/4" perfect cuts too. Never cut anything that thick myself! :grin:

2 Likes

Here are some 5/8 backup plates. The 3/4 stuff is already welded on our 60 ton frork truck ramp and in the lake. We take boats from our dry storage building and launch them with a 60 ton wiggins marina bull. They drive out on ramp with boat an lower it into water. Fork truck has 10’ negative carriage.

3 Likes

Damned! …that’s a nice cut!
The marina where I used to keep my boat (many moons ago) has a couple of those descending fork trucks. Sold my boat a long time ago, I now have access to many friends’ boats (best way to go boating). :beers: :rofl:

3 Likes

Preach!! So true!!

1 Like

BOAT (Bankruptcy On A Trailer)

3 Likes

I have several you and TinWhisperer can borrow Cletus. Just let me know if you ever come to Chattanooga

1 Like

I may very well take you up on that some day my friend :beers: :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks for the offer. I used to do a lot of boating and exploring with my boat but life got very busy and now my boat’s been parked in the forest for 7 years. :worried:

1 Like

here is my …boat

4 Likes

You mean that’s your friends boat you borrowed last? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grimacing:

3 Likes

Good to see the fenders are still attached.

1 Like

My parents had a houseboat docked over at Haletown when I was a kid. There was a dock with some kind of catfish operation next door. Maybe where Riverside Catfish House is now. We built a trailer and moved it to Tim’s Ford in 79 or 80…

Just down the river from me. Nice down there. Nickajack Dam…

When I was fresh out of school doing part time work as a VHF marine radio tech and studying engineering, I got a houseboat from a customer for TT$800 and partnered with three buddies to refurbish it (she slept 8 people comfortably). Hell, we needed somewhere to entertain our gals! We spent TT$3500 to refurbish it. The owner of an electrical store I knew, gave us all the electrical stuff we needed for free, and a carpet guy I knew gave us loads of yellow shag carpet again free. Good times, she was a nice boat with a 40hp Evinrude. I recall, once, we went out on her for a weekend and ended up spending a month! :beers: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Somehow that seems very appropriate with the whole “needed somewhere to entertain our gals” part of the deal. Kind of like those van conversions from the 70s (?) that were not used for camping :smiley:

1 Like

Hahahaha!! :rofl:

Break Out Another Thousand

And all your guns were on the boat too? LOL

2 Likes