Any Ideas on better coolant?

good luck getting them to reply to you. also, be prepaired for a minimum of 55 gallons…

I use Qualichem Xtreme cut at work and have zero issues in machines that are 30 years old. I was going to get the coolant that langmuir provides (it looking clear in videos was a big selling point) but guess I’ll remove that from my order. I know in our manual area we run qualichem at 3-4% and it prevents it from getting sticky/stinky longer… the biggest thing is to keep the coolant moving. Some of our machines have fish tank aerators to prevent bacterial growth.

I don’t like blaser, it leaves a white residue on aluminum… made a brand new Haas way covers look horrible.

1 Like

I take back what I said. I can start to see staining on my base plate (it’s only been a few days).

1 Like

Got the new juice in my tub. FUSION 2240.
Reworked the base plate to cleanup.
Working on some acme threading right now.
5/8-8 acme pillow blocks.
Testing the thread mill right now. First attempt was close but too loose. Dialing in the new setting for the am.
As for the coolant so far so good. Definitely not syrupy. No stains yet either.

4 Likes

Thats good to hear. Mine should be here shortly.

Any update on coolant suggestions?

1 Like

The new coolant Fusion 2240 is working fine.
No aluminum etching or syrupy residue. It gets mixed at 5% to distilled water.

3 Likes

Great to hear! Guess I’ll be ordering some Fusion from Amazon.

I also bought Fusion on @Bigdaddy2166 previous suggestion, seems to be great stuff so far.

Careful with that distilled water @Bigdaddy2166 I was told to use tap for the first fill and distilled after to top it off. their thinking is: you want some minerals in the water so its not imbalanced and then starts becoming aggressive towards the metals it contacts. as evaporation occurs the water leaves but the minerals don’t so thats when you replace with distilled. Hopefully it’s no big deal either way.

2 Likes

From my experience it depends on the coolant, some have additives made to work with hard water and others do not. I think fusion specifies distilled.

2 Likes

@Bigdaddy2166 - How many gallons of distilled water vs Fusion 2240 did you use?

5% mix. 10 gal water to 1/2 gallons of 2240.
I used distilled water. Some one said that you should use regular water the first time.
And use distilled after that. Your call on that.
Our water here in Tenn is like mineral water, so that’s why I opted for distilled.

1 Like

Thanks @Bigdaddy2166. I emailed Fusion and they said to only use distilled water.

I am also using FUSION 2240.

I didn’t use distilled water, but I am not having any problems.
Working great so far

This propbaly isnt useful unless you happen to live near a distributor but I use Techcool 35052 from Chemetall. Its like $25 a gallon in 5 gallon buckets and its what all the boeing shop around me use.

I have only ever tested 1 Blasser and 3 qualichem coolants on my machines but I like the chemetall one a lot more

1 Like

I have been running TRIM E850 for a bit over a month without any noticeable discoloration. It does leave a visible residue on the polycarbonate windows when it dries. I paid $55.84 before tax , with free s&h from msc. I initially ran it at 1:8 but added an additional gallon yesterday (raising the total charge to 10gallons). When the drain screens start to full up with chips, a significant amount of fluid builds up in the chip try and I was getting worried about coolant pump sucking up air.

I choose E850 because my main requirement was low toxicity if a spinll was ingested by a pet (a convicted floor licker) and this coolant had a lab report with a high LD50 when tested on rats. When I made the decision, I wasn’t aware of the extent to which the enclosure would leak coolant on the floor… In retrospect, it seems like a good decision to make toxicity when ingested a top concern.

As expected, the coolant smell is almost impossible to remove from clothing. Straight d-limonene mostly works but my washing machine still has an eye watering strong smell of d-limonene after 3 weeks… I’m sure it was also great for the seals in the machine…

I’ll second the Synergy 735. Excellent stuff. No smell. Great on aluminum.

1 Like

Did you find Blazer? If not, try Cutting Tool Control 800-356-2416