Air continues to blow after torch stops

Hey guys, I am trying to cut out a shape that has different pockets in it. When the torch fires, air blows and cuts the profile but then when the torch stops, air still blows for a good 10 seconds after. The problem is it has already made it to the next profile and will not fire the torch until the air stops. Is there an issue with the cutter? I noticed on the langmuir videos, there air/torch stops at the same time where as mine does not. I need to know how to fix this asap. I have the razor weld 30 amp machine and the cnc table.

Thank you,
Travis

@tmarshall Hi Travis, sorry to hear about your issue. We had another customer who is using the Vipercut 30 post about what appears to be the same issue. You can view this thread here (Torch only firing once per job).

The vipercut 30 does not have post flow and so the air should stop flowing to the torch after the arc is exitnguished. It is possibly an issue with the power supply or the torch. Thankfully Razorweld has a great warranty and I recommend that you contact their technical support by emaling sales@razorweld.com

-Mike

Great, thank you, I will contact them directly.

Do you have the new case vipercut30 or the old one? I believe longer post flow was added to the new one (per my request and others) I have a few here that I’ll be firing up later to test.
Some machines the post flow is dependent on the amperage and amount of cut time, but usually those will stop the post flow and cut again when the trigger is keyed.

I guess the old one?? Image below:

Do you have the new case vipercut30 or the old one? I believe longer post flow was added to the new one (per my request and others) I have a few here that I’ll be firing up later to test.
Some machines the post flow is dependent on the amperage and amount of cut time, but usually those will stop the post flow and cut again when the trigger is keyed.

In all of the cutting we have done with our Vipercut 30 machines we have never experienced postflow. The 45 machine does have postflow, but as soon as the trigger is pulled, the postflow is interrupted and the torch fires.

In the case of these two customers, it sounds like the arc is extinguishing but the airflow continues (~4 seconds for one customer, ~10 seconds for the other). During that time, squeezing the trigger doesn’t re-fire the torch.

1 Like

Admittedly all of my cuts have started with the same small test pattern from a fairly cold start. I haven’t tried longer cuts or extended use yet, so I’m not sure whether the delay is variable.

And yes, my case looks like the above as well.

Update: I sent Razorweld an email stating the issue and told them that it is urgent they respond. I know it has only been 1 day but have not heard anything. I have turned down almost $400 in work because I don’t know when I can get to it. Langmuir, do you have a contact I can call? I need this resolved.

Sadly the guy there that knew a ton of info has moved. You can call and talk to Kyle and see if he knows, here is the number. 253-859-6277

If you are in a pinch send me a message; I can cut parts and drop ship for you. At least that way you will still make some money

1 Like

Mike, I have a Century cutter with a post flow relay for cooling and the same issue as Travis. I need to manually add a G4 and P5 in the g-code to avoid this-is this the best way to accomplish this?

@tmarshall Did you ever get a response from Razorweld/Jasic Technologies? They never replied to my email (seems like they were trying to work through things with Langmuir Systems), but I finally called the number on their website on Monday and they gave me an RMA # to send the unit back for a replacement the same day.

Yes sir they did. I am sending my unit back with an RMA and they are sending me the “new model” in return.

What’s the new model?

Same Viper cut 30 but has updated software and a new enclosure. Image below of the new model. My old model is posted above.

Thanks. I’ve got a 45 coming. :slightly_smiling_face:

I am having the same problem with my hypertherm 45xp. When I fire the torch through mach it will turn on just fine. When I turn the torch off, the arc stops but the air keeps blowing continuously until I flip the switch on the torch handle. Not sure as to why the post flow is continuous and doesn’t stop when torch is turned off. Any insight to this?

That is normal for the 45XP and many other plasma cutters. Post flow is used to cool the consumables down in the torch so that they last longer.

I understand this but it does not stop. Post flow will not stop until I flick the switch on the hand torch.

I would contact Hypertherm about that. The postflow on my Hypertherm Powermax 1000 only lasts for about 10 seconds.

Having the same problem with the viper 30, after cutting an outside pattern the tortch moves to do the inside cut and won’t fire as the air continues to blow . I tried to set the pierce delay to be a bit longer to let the tortch reset . It won’t .