Air Compressor aftercooler Info thread

Can someone explain the science behind having a cooler before the tank?

Cooling super hot air is going to cause condensation and the condensation has to go somewhere, closest place and easiest place for it to drain to is the tank. I’m just confused on how well this works at removing water. As far as cooling air it works fantastic, but it’s water that I’m more worried about.

I’m building a copper manifold now, soldering copper is a pain btw. If this helps and someone can explain to me how this keeps water from forming in the tank I’ll do it too.

My set up is 3/4 ball valve out the tank, 3/4 air line to 3/4 copper tubing in about a 50’ manifold, at the end of the manifold is a rapid air 3/4 air filter/regulator, I then run an airline to my 45xp which has a klutch air filter/regulator, plus the built in 45xp filter. I should be good, but I want to be better. lol

it’s basically a smaller version of a copper manifold with a water trap between the cooler and the tank. water is collected in the trap and is expelled when the pump shuts off. it’s not 100% but I’ve had little to no water in my tank with that setup.

Yeah the key part is the water trap after the cooler. Other wise you’d be dumping the moisture straight to the tank.

I though the same thing when I first heard about the after-cooler idea, then it all made sense seeing the picture with the inline water trap.

3 Likes

Got to have a copper manafold like you are doing or something like this. This one is self draining.

2 Likes

I think the real added benefit of the aftercooler is you aren’t getting 300 degree air in your compressor tank. You are dropping the temp 200 degrees and getting water out at the earliest possible stage.

Copper manifolds don’t prevent condensation in the tank right?

1 Like

Copper manifolds wont prevent condensation in the tank unless it is before the tank with auto drains like our coolers are.

I would be curious to see a copper manifold setup before the tank and see what the inlet / outlet temps are.

I’m extremely happy so far with my cooler pulling 200° before it gets to the tank. Compressor kicked on about 5 times yesterday while I was fooling around with the new table and I didn’t have a drop of water in the tank when I was done.

90 degree air after aftercooler +200 before with my setup. Water seperator after aftercooler with automatic drain.

6 Likes

Nice setup. Great job. My setup with fan on aftercooler.

3 Likes

That’s sideways? Oh thank goodness! I thought I had fallen over and couldn’t get up!!!

1 Like

go into your files where you keep your pictures on your computer…open one of them up…select rotate 90 CW…that is 90 degrees clockwise…then close the picture…it should rotate it for posting.

Thats the funny thing, it shows correct on my phone and or ipad, but when i up load it, it puts it in sideways… any other advice to get it straight. Im all ears. :smile:

that is because most smart devices have an auot feature to right the picture by the coding imbedded in the picture.
a PC will open it as it sees it.
go into your photo album on your smart device…open the picture…you should see an option for “crop and rotate picture”…rotate the picture in that mode then close the picture…when you open it on the smart device later it will be sideways on that.
then you can post the picture and it will come out straight.

1 Like

Ill give it a try. Tank ya…

you can also just crop it just a hair without rotating it on your phone and save it. it’ll fix that problem.

1 Like

That worked. Thanks toolboy and nicaDd

My aftercooler setup. Picked a lot of great advice from this site before I setup mine a few months ago. Works great so far😊 The built in fan blades on the compressor pulley draws plenty of air across the heat exchanger without an electrical fan added.

Also went with a refrigerated dryer downstream to ensure I have really dry air

12 Likes

NICE setup!!!

My setup was not a replacement for a refrigerated dryer, although it removes a LOT of moisture. I built it more to give me the 20’ min line length most dryer manufacturers suggest between the compressor and dryer, and give some additional benefits.

It works fantastic and fits in a 3’ x 4’ wall space.

12 Likes

Clever.
Does this work at ambient temperature and, if so, what is your normal workshop temperature?

Very Nice Setup! I plan on doing similar and really like the cooling fins, did you fabricate or buy them? If bought, where? Thank You!