Adventures in metal cutting

Like I needed another way to separate me from my money. :money_mouth_face::boom::boom::eyes:

Thanks for link!

2 Likes

I would love a review on that tool, alot better looking than the $80 1 size pita one I use now :thinking:

I have the same one with the pumping rod instead. I think it was an extra $1. Even so, the thing is cheaper than the grinding, welding, painting effort needed when you don’t want to use a thru-bolt.

1 Like

Living in the north east, working on rusted POS vehicles I loath rivnuts. Every time I encounter one it spins. So I can’t bring myself to buy the tool… no matter how useful :slight_smile:
I think…

2 Likes

LOL! Yeah, we hear the commitment!

1 Like

Been working on a new caster / leveling foot design using my new Fusion 360 skills. I’m a F360 convert at this point - really enjoying using it now that I know how to get around…and the CAM is great as well. Took some time to get there, but much more proficient now…

Not sure if this design even makes any sense - I’ve got a few other ideas floating around in my head, but thought I’d put this out there to see if it generates any ideas. 1/4" plate. Tube that CF leg sits in is 2 1/2" .25" wall tubing welded to base plate. Gussets welded to base plate. Tapped for caster and leveling screw.

My goal is to roll it out of storage into working position, put a level on the x and y axis and walk around with my impact driver / socket and level the feet out. When done, I’ll retract the feet and roll it back to storage. Might move to a plate mount caster vs stem as well.

7 Likes

Did you create the caster model?

No - the caster and the foot are from McMaster-Carr - STEP file import. Everything above the caster, I modeled.

1 Like

You have really got a hold on Fusion… WOW!
What if you moved the wheels out to the flange, and the leveling screws directly under the legs. Would be structurally stronger when in use and loaded.:thinking:

Those Lars videos on YT are great - really got me off the ground with F360.

Good point, but I can’t get my impact driver on the nut. I’d have to use a wrench, but I’ll have to noodle that idea some more…interesting…thanks for the post!:smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks! Good to know!

An interesting piece of software I ran across in Fusion360 help forums.

http://www.nc-corrector.inf.ua/index_EN.htm

NC Corrector is an editor for g-code. It has a visualizer and the ability to “play” the g-code and watch the operations.

There are lots of editors out there - I use Notepad++ frequently. The reason I mention NC Corrector is that it has a feature I’ve been looking for - g-code to DFX conversion. It allows you to export gcode as a DFX. I found one or two programs that sort of do it, but this one seems to work pretty well. Most of the time you’ll have the design you generated the gcode from, but in the cases where you don’t - this will let you create the design from the g-code. I’ve had a few cases of this, and it’s useful to me.

Another interesting feature that I like is you can click in the visualizer and it will jump to the line of code that generates that line or arc. I can see where that’s useful in a large complex gcode file especially if you are trying to track down a cut issue.

(I wish you could do that in Firecontrol and click run from here)…

Another tool for the toolbelt…

3 Likes

Scored my new pump from the Hazzard Fart today - on sale!

Thanks for the tip on the coupon! :boom::+1::fire::fire: They are one sale thru 6/30/20.

Also got in a magnetic chuck from Amazon. It took about 2 weeks for some reason, but it’s here. Saw this in use on a fabricator’s YT channel (42fab???) and it’s a gamechanger. Magnetically hold small parts / letters when grinding / finishing. Mine is a 5x10 but I don’t see it on site anymore. 6x12 would be closest. Extra set of hands.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZJ86G6W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And some AVE stickers for a laugh…

3 Likes

Wow, this is not giving me a “feel good” moment.

I understand the surface looks pretty rough but that looks like some quality that comes out of China, not made in USA.

Just ordered my table a week ago and wondering if it was a mistake :neutral_face:

What surface are we talking about?

I think he’s referencing your post about your wheels falling off… (hehehe, sorry, I couldn’t resist) although I’m not sure what ‘surface’ he’s referring to.

Oh that makes more sense. If so, keep in mind the wheels are add-ons that I did. They didn’t come with the table. The table comes with some sturdy leveling feet, but I don’t have the dedicated space - I’ve got to be able to move it around. I’m working on something “USA Made” for the wheels :smiley:

1 Like

The driveway

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion - I couldn’t figure out which post you were replying to, but I found how to do that now. I’m very happy with my table - it’s solid and I have no complaints on quality. The stock feet will work fine if you don’t need to roll it around. The foot insert wasn’t really designed for the loads a stem caster puts on it. On smooth concrete, you’d probably be fine.