Yay, it's New Tool Day!

New tool day! I bought a desktop mill from a friend here. A Precision Matthews PM728VT complete with every upgrade (MASSO, Clearpath servos, precision ball screws, probe, Z axis electronic brake, power draw bar using TTS tool holders, ER20 and ER32 collets with a bunch of tooling). To sweeten the deal, my friend threw in an old upgraded Hardinge lathe (MASSO, Clearpath servos, Accuslide gang tooling, and a Dunham air collet closer). He’s been a machinist for 50+ years. He turned cranks for years then got his first ‘NC’ machine (you know used paper tape for automation). His life outlook changed when he bought a Bambu Lab X1C, then a P1P and A1 mini. He’s done with subtractive, going full additive.

8 Likes

That looks like a great find, but not really fair that you get to have all the cool stuff. :joy:

2 Likes

Thanks, I have good friends.

That lathe is awesome. One of the best you could get for its time.

2 Likes

That’s about all I know at this point. I used a wood lathe about 40 years ago in high school. So I’ve got some learning to do.

2 Likes

So many machines so little time

5 Likes

That’s an awesome setup there. You’re going to have a lot of fun with those new toys.

I really want to get a bench top mill. Hopefully soon.

Can’t wait to see what you make with the new toys.

2 Likes

Man! Keep those tools in the base of that Mill! That looks seriously top heavy!

1 Like

Yeah, no kidding.

Thanks, same here. I made an openbuilds CNC wood router several years ago. But this is a different ball game.

1 Like

Very nice setup. Congratulations on the acquisition.

1 Like

Thanks and happy new year!

6 Likes

Craig
I want to move in to your shop and my wife said that’s a great idea. Can I get your Address? :laughing:

6 Likes

Well if it works for her, I’m down with it.

Blondihacks on youtube as a great lathe getting started series…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Dnmd3lDzA&list=PLY67-4BrEae9Ad91LPRIhcLJM9fO-HJyN

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll check that out. She also has several videos on this PM-728VT as well (which I’ve watched :upside_down_face:)

4 Likes

looks awesome, I’m so jealous.

2 Likes

I have a big smile that’s for sure.

2 Likes