Xr hypertherm cut quality

Finally setup the xr with a hypertherm 65 sync and been messing with the setting and cant quite get it dialed in.

My first batch crossfire with a 45xp had a cleaner cut and less bevel.

Tried everything between .06 torch height to .125 and 90ipm to 117ipm.

Zero dross but has a 5 degree bevel i cant seem to knock down and not nearly as smooth of a cut appearance wise, the you couldnt see any cut lines.

The corners are rough but i might be able to work that out slowing down into and around the corners.

Thoughts/ suggestions ?

Did you verify your cut height with feeler gages?

I did. When i had it set to .125 it was way off, so i adjusted to 0 ihs and got it down to .125.

Based on how it looks, i figured it was cutting too high. I am going to try and do some more test cuts this week to and mark the specs on each.

@Jpointer311 are you using 65 or 45 amp consumables ?

sounds like 65 amp comsumables base on this ipm range you are using.

Do all side have the same bevel?

65amp consumables. Same bevel all the way around.

https://www.hypertherm.com/Download?fileId=HYP254734&zip=False

PG 151

are you using the automatic or manual gas pressure?

Try and test from the manual and see wheree you are at.

I had to adjust my torch to table, it was not 90 to table. I readjusted my X axis bearings to get torch 90 to table have almost zero bevel now on one edge and other 3 edges are spot on.

I left the machine as it was out of the box, so automatic i assume. Ill double check the doc and adjust

Before i fired it up, it was as square as square gets. Ill double check it this week.

I let it run for 5 minutes and it never deviated

Are you running in automatic gas pressure mode when cutting?

Pg 75 in the PDF above

Yes, automatic

Interesting discussion regarding sync cartridges. we run a HT 65 and dropped down to a 45 amp std non fine cut cartridge and are getting cleaner slots and holes on 1/8 mild steel at published settings but seems lowering cut height to .06 helps get low side dross off better. On 1/4" we see similar no dross but taper with 65 amp sync. cartridges. keep in mind a few tech calls with Hyperterm that publish cut heights and speeds dry no water table. Hypertherm tech rep mentioned an interesting thought on the plasma arc its more like a football shape and you want it to cut more to the center of the football (pointing down) as far as depth. I see you messed with depth as we did … Hypertherm officially recalled all their early fine cut cartridges Maybe some small issues with the rest of the Sync cartridges.

1 Like

We haven’t messed with any fine tuning HT pressures settings etc that extra menu adds another layer to this matrix.

I will try to get some more test cuts this weekend with specs for each and measure the toech height during operation. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated