X Axis play/lash and resistance issues

Alright, so I’m on step 8 of assembling my Crossfire Pro table and I’m having issues with the X axis. I’ve made sure the torch mount holder/carriage is perpendicular to the slat bed and have dialed in all the adjustable bearings with the set screws. The issue is the when sliding the torch mount carriage along the gantry tube there is still lash/play in different sections of the gantry tube, but there is also some resistance in other sections of the tube. I’m not sure if this is ok or not, but I’ve taken a video to show whats going on. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

That does seem weird, you would expect it to be the same across the gantry. Tubing isn’t perfect, but I think mine fits better than what’s in the video.

I seem to remember making many adjustments throughout my assembly and after beginning cutting. My torch mount just started getting play in it again after a z axis collision.

For what you’re seeing, I’d loosen it to get past the bind, then start running it and make adjustments as you go, checking the axis after cuts.

1 Like

If the spots where it’s binding seems periodic, like every 64.2mm, to take a random example, I’d suspect out of round or eccentric roller bearing.

1 Like

Thank you guys for replying and the suggestions. I think its the actual gantry tubing that’s the issue, there’s almost a .020 variance in the tubing where it binds to where there’s freeplay in the carriage. I took measurements in the Y axis tubing and its pretty much within .005 from all sections of the tubing. The Y axis moves smooth with no lash/play.

The sections where I get resistance along the X axis tubing measured at around 1.999, then the sections with lash/play measured as low as 1.977. So would I be able to continue building the table and operate it with .020 play in the torch mount carriage?
Thank you

Reach out to the service email. Provide the link to your video and explain…I bet they will sort by his out real quick