X axis lead nut too tight?

I’m wondering if it’s possible to tighten the x axis lead screw nut too much. I’m noticing some vibration and sometimes even stalling toward the left side when jogging, similar to this topic:

I noticed this before but cleaning and lubing the x axis lead screw seemed to fix the problem. Anyway, while troubleshooting I loosened the lead nut a bit and found that the problem was greatly reduced. Should I leave the nut a little loose?

If loosening it helped, I would suspect that the lead nut bracket is not square and/or not square to the rail.

If that bracket is not square and aligned with the rail, it will hold the nut at an angle to the screw when you tighten the bolts holding the nut.

There’s not really any other way for me to put the bracket on other than the way it’s currently mounted. Doesn’t seem to be any wiggle room. I’m not seeing any noticeable damage or bending on the bracket. Should I contact Langmuir about this?

There is play in the two bolt holes that mount the bracket to the carriage. Loosening those bolts will allow it to move. If you tighten the lead nut to the bracket and then loosen the two bolts that hold the bracket to the carriage, it should align itself.

It might be the photo, but the bracket itself doesn’t look square(90 degrees).

If you leave the nut loose, your accuracy will suffer by the amount of free play between the nut and the bracket.

1 Like

OK so did as you suggested and I think it’s fairly well aligned now. I’ll wait and see, still feel like there’s a weird sound when jogging on the left side but it’s so subtle I can’t tell. Thanks for your help!

1 Like