What is the extra connection on my Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 (not CPC)

I have a Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 with a Duramax MRT machine torch.

I use the torch fire wires on the 14pin CPC #3 and #4 just like the current Powermax line up. But there’s another cord on the back of the machine that uses a 3.5mm (maybe) jack and I have no clue what it’s for. I couldn’t find it in the manual (but I probably skimmed right over it). We don’t use ohmic sensing or Arc Voltage Control on the Crossfire so every input/output other than torch fire are not in use. But I was under the impression ohmic sensing was wired from the retaining cap on the torch to the electronics on a plasma table with that feature for touch off and e stop and I thought the AVC feedback wires were integrated into the 14pin CPC.

The reason I’m curious about it is I’m purchasing a 5x10 with THC and want to use this Powermax 1000 for at least the rest of the year before moving to a Powermax85. The table manufacture wasn’t much help because they only sell and recommend the 45xp/65/86, they had no idea what I was talking about. But it was also more of a sales guy than a tech. Either way, they should be familiar with this stuff but ah well.

1 Like

If anyone runs across this, I read that it’s RAW arc voltage. Not to be confused or substituted for a divided arc voltage output (1:20 or 1:50) that’s typically wired through the CPC port at pins #5 and #6.

I have a powermax 1000 G3 series also. But I have a hand torch. What all do I need to do for wiring the plasma cutter? Will I need to zip tie the hand torch switch “on”? Thanks, Ken

I never had the hand torch for my PM1000 so I’m not sure exactly what pin you’ll have to change but they’re probably in the manual. You’ll have to change a wire and zip tie the trigger just like they do here with the 45XP

The powermax 1000 does not have a cnc port. Dealing with raw voltage, what terminals in the cutter did you hook the red and black wires coming from the VIM box to. I hooked the red “clamp” wire to J15+ and the black wire “torch” to J16-. I’m not sure if this is correct or not. Thanks, Ken

Some PM1000 did have the CPC port, mine did. Yes, those connections at correct for the raw voltage source.

Hey OffRoadDevilDog! I was wondering if you could give me a short run down on how to connect the hypertherm powermax 1000 that has the 14 pin cpc in the back of the machine.