What have you done on your CrossFire Pro Today?

At first I bent the pieces, that was not working so good so I took the mini grinder with cutoff wheel and scored where all the bends were needed. Tack welded and bent as I went. If I ever finish this dog and do something else I will try and tig weld the pieces. I am grinding a lot. Your work looks great DnKFab

I haven’t sold a single sign. I’m retired and afraid it will turn into a job!

The Harley sign is for a guy that grew up next door to me. He just retired. He has three Harleys. Two are ones he and his twin brother bought brand new in 1979. Lowriders. He also has a 2020 something glide.

Thanks for the file. I’ll post it if I get one cut for him.

2 Likes

thank you, i tried tig on them, and i just am not a tig welder…it takes sooooooo long!! technically i can do it but i just dont have enough patience. In my head I rationalized that i could tig really slow and grind less or mig fast and just grind a bit more…in my head im sure it was faster to mig and grind…lol. are you using hard rock or flap discs? when you get down to the final surfacing the roll lock wheels with 3m pads take off and blend edges very well. I put them in an electric die grinder.

1 Like

Hard rock then flap I will grab some 3m pads thanks for the info

1 Like

Tig is an Art, I don’t have the time for the patience to learn it enough to be proficient in it :rofl:

1 Like

Yesterday i was thinking we should do some type of build off quarterly. I’m not talking days but say on a scheduled Sunday morning at 9am someone out of the competition or even @langmuirsystems posts the idea like 18x18 fish and waterfall people get like 6-8 hours to reply with picture. Reason for combination is because everyone has a fish in their files but doubtful someone has two items together. Just another twist to make it original and keep everyone honest. I could care less about winning but more about fun of something new and exciting. I can’t come up with all the details but must be done on Langmuir table and posted in the given time. Maybe even winner gets name placed somewhere as winner on website. Not everything is about money. I just like seeing cool new stuff.

3 Likes

I love the idea.

In the past I’ve tried before holiday seasons to motivate people to post stuff to fire share for the upcoming holiday season.

Even recently I thought about starting a topic to get people motivated to post projects to fire share for this St Patrick’s Day.

But I didn’t because disappointingly normally nobody else ever participates.

Here was one attempt before the 2023 Christmas season.

Here’s another attempt of me trying to get people to share more content to fire share.

@DonP if you can get something rolling I would definitely participate.

I would also involve fire share as the place that the finished entries have to be posted to.

2 Likes

I think this is a fun idea but you might want to start with something other than fish. I think @TinWhisperer has the fish market all locked up.

I think it was @toolboy who said “there is something fishy about @TinWhisperer:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

This Sunday could be clocks. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

That’s right the rest of the crazy world changes time this weekend. Ah To be free of time change. The rest of you should try it, it’s a good feeling.

4 Likes

@TinWhisperer thats a good idea for the fireshare requirement. I hesitated a long time before posting there because I imagined it was much more of a pain than it actually was. In truth it was super user friendly and fast to post to fireshare. @DonP i like your idea. might need more than 6 hours though as sometimes i will go a day without even looking on here. I would participate when able.

2 Likes

Don,

I can’t thank you enough for the file.

I scaled it down (17" x 19") and added some tabs in the middle since I was cutting 18 gauge. For some reason a few areas wouldn’t extrude so I redrew them. Based on your advice about tip ups, I picked each contour and entry point individually with a “tip-up avoidance” goal. Worked out great.

3200mm/sec, 1.2mm cut height, .6 sec pierce, 31amps, 65psi. Cut really clean. :grinning:

8 Likes

Today’s plan is to cut this fish and torch it to make it a blue color in spots. My buddy is big walleye guy and he asked if I would do it. I did minor modification to it so it’s not super thin in too many places. Anyone have some tips for torching?

4 Likes

Stop heating before you reach the colour you want and wait a second then it should creep up to the desired colour.

3 Likes

Thanks…i seen video on it the other day and the guy said start at bottom. I think i’m going to sandblast it prior to torching also. not sure if it matters

2 Likes

was my first attempt at heat coloring. cool thing i found was you can sand it back down and try again. got some really nice blues but this is going to take some practice.

added the fish to the fileshare…enjoy!
[walleye - fish | FireShare | Langmuir Systems]

11 Likes

Nice catch Don!

Thought you’d like to know, I liked the Harley sign so much I’ve made four of them. One for me, and three for friends who still own bikes. All 18 gauge. I set them up so the offset between the plates is adjustable. I’ve also ordered some neon rope lights.

I’m painting mine black background and clearcoat on the face. I liked the look of that clean steel after I wiped it down with 36% vinegar. I’ll post a better picture after paint dries and re-assembly.

I used super glue instead of welding the bolts because I didn’t want to discolor the face. Seems to be holding strong. Roughed it real good with flap wheel before gluing.

7 Likes

I have done several raw steel fronts you can certainly weld them the buff the discoloration out. Just Incase you ever need to have it welded .

2 Likes

Made this for my sister. She’s 68 years old and she adopted two miniature ponies from Humane Society. No comment.

Anyway, I am always teasing her about having a farm so I made this for her.

4 Likes

@DonP

My white neon rope light is due tomorrow :grinning:

6 Likes

@Wsidr1 That looks great!

1 Like