What are your plans with the MR-1?

Just curious how people plan to use their MR-1? Is anybody using it for a new/existing business? Hobby?

I would like to get into small drop production of a few ideas. EDC type stuff, maybe golf putters. But I have some serious learning to do first.

I have the crossfire pro plasma table and a 3D printer so I have some basic CNC experience.

What experience level are you?

My Dad served a 4 year apprenticeship as a lathe operator at the Navel Shipyard after WW2. He bought a Craftsman lathe many years later when I was still a kid. Late-model Craftsman 12" Lathes

About 10 years later I bought an addition to the workshop. Added a power cross feed and was money well spent.

Dad passed away in ‘05. Neither of us had/have CNC knowledge. Just a novice shade tree mechanic who’s never been a fan of doing maintenance or repair but enjoy building and fabrication. I don’t believe in paying people for what I can do myself and have wanted to do prototype stuff but it was always too expensive or beyond my skill level. I’ve been seriously considering the purchase a large 3D printer. I think they can be a great compliment to a CNC mill.

Anyone been to one of these?
https://www.d2pshows.com/

4 Likes

I’ve always been into robotics but have always been pretty weak with hardware. Hoping this will help me get over that hump. At this price point I really need to find a way to monetize it but I don’t know exactly what that looks like yet.

I did a year as a cnc operator which amounted to loading fixtures and swapping inserts. I did a 5 week machining class. My garage is littered with half built hobby economy machines. I dabble in fusion 360. I play around with 3d printers.

2 Likes

I am into prototyping. I’ve only done a couple of REALLY HUGE jobs and have no reoccurring income from this side business, so its mostly a hobby for me. I’ve been trying to find some repeat business but mostly its odds and ends that doesn’t pay well.

1 Like