Welder Brands Everlast or another?

I have the everlast 52i plasma machine, and so far I’m very pleased with it. It does cut nice. I wanted to get another welder to replace my Lincoln mig 140 /120V (home depot special), with a 200 amp Everlast Cyclone 212 MIG/STICK

Its a dual voltage machine but I’d be using it in the shop mostly using 220/240. I’d like to weld thicker materials and get the penetration. I also want the ability to use stick.

Any suggestions on another brand comparable to this machine at the price point < $1000 and amps? I don’t need a huge machine, probably wouldn’t need anything larger than this Cyclone 212. Everlast seems to be a great brand at a good price point. I do like the digial read outs as well. The only thing I am wondering if I need another 120 machine, or should I just stick with a 240 v machine? I do weld on the go at times.

Just wanted to get anyone’s thoughts around this. Thanks!

Like you I wanted to get beyond my HD lincoln and I went with the Everlast mts 225 lightning and I must say it has really taken me from the total hack welder I was to a mediocre “yeah that should hold” welder. Been very happy with the choice and I must say my grinding wheel budget has dropped off significant’y. Main reason I went with that one is the tig capability of it. I do enjoy tig welding and this is where it has improved my game significantly

1 Like

Do you want aluminum capabilities? Everlast PowerPro 164Si is $1199. is an AC/DC Tig, plasma cutter, and stick welder in a 120/240 configuration. You would be able to TIG alum up to 1/4. The 160 amps are a limiting factor, but it is a solid portable machine. I have several everlast machines and love them all.

1 Like

Like @Bigdaddy2166 said if going after a multiprocess consider one that will do tig as well.

Now talking about welding thicker material and wanting it to hold. How thick and what extent do you want it to hold? You may need to change wire or process.
What most call solid mig wire I limit to 5/16 thick. Anything above that I change wire type to a flux cored dual shield like a excel -71 by Hobart or do a 7018 stick.
Just putting that information there I see the YouTube warriors welding things like wood splitters and such with processes that just aren’t made for that kind of abuse.

As far as brand I am a Lincoln or miller brand. I also ran a mean esab for several years. Heck I have a Chicago electric welder that is impressive for it purposes. Check out the used market I scored a very old union carbide 100 percent duty cycle 200 amp for almost nothing it has copper winding instead of aluminum. The hotter it gets the better it welds.

2 Likes

I had a 120v TIG but sold it, it was AC/DC. I then bought a super cheap TIG/Stick on Amazon for $175? It’s a dual voltage machine. I wanted to get back into TIG and at least have a practice machine. But it’s only DC. I figure when I get better I’ll invest in a nice TIG only machine for aluminum. As you know aluminum TIG is another world!!

I was thinking ESAB, or Miller but Miller just seems too expensive.

We had a esab migmaster 250 at work. We ran it daily for almost 15 years just regular maintenance.
There are decent Miller’s on the used market. You can get a decent professional grade for what you will pay for a entry level new machine.

1 Like

I would take my appraisal of my YesWelder with a grain of salt due to my not-yet-refined welding skills. I am self-taught on a 110/220 Century 180A machine that was always in 110v mode. Mediocre results at best.

I now have this YesWelder and couldn’t be happier. It is straight 220v.
https://a.co/d/62NMXCi

I have already swapped out the torch and ground for longer, more robust ones.

I know right! Those Yes welders are actually getting decent reviews and on YouTube. One guy layed down a tig bead just as good as a $2000 machine. I think for hobbiest’s , non professional these machines are decent. That’s why I bought that Yes Welder TIG/STICK, just so I could practice. I’m laying some decent beads in mild steel

1 Like

I’ve have a Lincoln Mig welder, CK Worldwide Tig welder, and an Everlast Power I-MIG 253 dpi. I use the Everlast 98% of the time. It’s truly the last welder I’ll prolly ever need. I can do aluminum, super thin sheet metal, bronze brazing, and 3/4" thick steel plate (with multiple passes) In my opinion the 253 dpi is the biggest bang for your buck on the market. The dual pulse tech allows me to stack dimes that look like tig welds with a MIG welder… I’ve heard good things about the Cyclone. It’s geared more for new welders. It’s easier to use than the 253 DPI but doesn’t do as much as the DPI. If you’re new to welding the Cyclone will be easier to figure out for sure. The DPI requires much more advanced understanding to operate. Link below.

2 Likes