Waterproof Cover

I don’t have much shop space for a crossfire, but I’m considering picking one up and rolling it outside while I work in my garage. I’m thinking about making a waterproof cover for it so in the event of rain, nothing will get ruined. Is this feasible, or will the torch arm that protrudes upward be a pain and is too hard to put on/off each time I use it. Thanks!

Definitely possible. It’s gonna be heavy when full of water. If you drain it, relatively easy.

You’ll need a good rolling base, a smooth transition to the outdoors, a shelf under if you plasma will also go out (or wall mount), etc. However, be aware you might have problems getting out of square if you go jostling it around to much.

Pimp My Pro- Mods and Addons - CrossFire ® PRO - Langmuir Systems Forum

I’d get a nutsert tool and add some eyelets to the tray rails to attach a tarp. The arm for the torch routing would actually make a nice tent pole.

I have this one and it works great:

Amazon.com: Astro Pneumatic Tool 1442 13" Hand Rivet Nut Setter Kit - Metric & SAE W/ 60pc Rivnuts : Tools & Home Improvement

1 Like

Thanks man! How heavy are we talking filled with water? Still doable to move around with casters? Alternatively, what if I just left the unit outside but kept it covered all the time? As long as its covered I don’t see any reason why I would have to worry about any components getting ruined. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

1 Like

Fire pit cover
Limited-time deal: SHINESTAR Square Fire Pit Cover for 32-34 Inch Fire Pit with Spark Screen, 32 Inch Gas Fire Table with Wind Guard, 36 x 36 x 24 Inch, Sturdy and Waterproof Amazon.com
They come in many sizes. This one looks close.

2 Likes

Thanks! You think thats enough to protect the unit if kept outside all the time? Of course in the winter I’ll bring er in if its gonna snow.

Well, the water alone weighs about 120lbs. Table and controller 223lbs(LS Spec Sheet). Rolling base and plasma cutter… roughly 1501bs? So 500lbs would be a reasonable guess.

If I were gonna roll mine much, I would have gone with 5 inch casters instead of 2". But I rarely move mine now.

As for leaving it outside, I wouldn’t leave anything electronic outside, even if covered. If you remove the controller and cutter, maybe okay. Would be my “option of last resort”. But, that’s easy for me to say because I have a large garage. If I were in your situation, I might go for it.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t want to leave the steppers outside in my climate. Our temps vary wildly here which would lead to condensation under the tarp. I wouldn’t want my machine outdoors except for using it.

2 Likes

Keeping the machine outside doesn’t sound feasible to me. For one, it’s loud. 80 psi though a .06 in hole into 3 inches of water makes a lot of noise. More than a compressor.

Two, you need to make sure it’s level and square before cutting. Hard to do if you’re moving it.

But, maybe you have some backyard or side area that this could work in. If I HAD to do this, I’d set it on a very rigid frame and the. Build a plywood box around the whole table with a door to open on the front to use it. Maybe even a little mini door on the back to let material slide though.