Water table leaks

i know in the past with other LS tables many people ran into issues with leaks coming from where the 2 water trays bolted together. Has something changed in the design of the XR compared to the other tables that the leaks aren’t as much of an issue anymore for example clamping design, sealant type, procedure, etc… is welding still the go to fix all?? is the marine grade sealant provided the best option?? @langmuir-daniel @langmuirsystems

Yes so far we have not had any reports of water table leaks on XR. The joint design is similar, but the marine sealant is a much better adhesive for the application. We are working on getting the same adhesive for CrossFire PRO water tables.

3 Likes

do you think the marine grade sealant is the best option? i work in the aircraft industry and was thinking about substituting if for some 890 fuel tank sealant they use one aircrafts…

Im not familiar with 890, but marine grade sealant we feel is the best adhesive for this application. The bond strength is very high, it remains flexible, and its rated for constant underwater environment.

2 Likes

I am worried about the sealant too. I looked at the tube but it doesn’t say what type of material it is. I am tempted to use 3m window weld instead.

1 Like

Every pic or video I’ve seen has been this…

1 Like

We haven’t receive any reports of any leaks using PL Marine. You can of course make your own decision, but we have never tested that adhesive for continuous underwater application and therefore can’t say if it would hold up over time the way that PL Marine will.

2 Likes

I had a small leak in the corner where one piece met the next. But it could have been from me not applying the sealant equally or missing a bolt to tighten.

I will say the new sealant that comes with the XR is extremely strong! If you apply it like the instructions state, I do not see anyone having any leaking issues. Just make sure on the outside edges of each water table, that you go all the way up the seam, in case you overfill your water table.

1 Like

Has anyone tried 3m window sealant. We use it on our Vactron Hydro vacuum. which sucks 25" of vacuum and never a leak. So with just the water pressure from the water sitting in the table would be around .1" of pressure it would be a given it would never leak. Not cheap but you will never have a leak on a table, https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40066982/?preselect=3289697958

1 Like

3M 5200 fast set. Won’t leak or ever come apart.
Regular 5200 take 7 days to cure. Fast set takes 24 hrs. Works great but only come in white or black that I know of.

3M Marine Adhesive Sealant Fast Cure 5200 (06535) Permanent Bonding and Sealing for Boats and RVs Above and Below the Waterline Waterproof Repair, White, 1 fl oz Tube https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003E1ULRE/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_HMPPT9BZJV2GMYYWPK0T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

The calk that Langmuir supplies with the xr will work just fine, I have used it on my center console boat when supplier was out of the 3m marine calks.

This is essentially what we supply with the XR, just the loctite version of it. Works great.

2 Likes

Worked for me not a drop of leakage. Will never come apart again though. Had a dingy davit on a boat that was caulked up with 5200. Unbolted the davit and it took a fork truck to pull up on it to break it free. But only after lifting the boat up off the stands. Crazy stuff.

2 Likes

I’m assembling my Pro this week. Is the XR locktite sealant included or do I need to get some ordered?

I thought about using Permatex RTV Ultra Black to seal my XR but I used what Langmuir supplied. I let it cure for 2 full days before filling the table up and I’ve not had a single drop of leakage. The marine grade sealant they supply is high quality stuff.

2 Likes

So unfortunately we don’t supply marine sealant with PRO currently but we are working on it. It’s been a struggle just to source enough for XR. Once global supply chains free up our plan is to change over to marine sealant for PRO. If you can find some 3m 4/5200 or loctite pl marine I’d recommend it.

1 Like

Thanks. FYI for others - both Home Depot and Lowes carry the Locktite in stores.

1 Like

One of my pans had a hole where langmuir welded a bracket. Guy welding it burn through the steel. I now have water in between the facia and long part. Basically everywhere 2 pieces of flat steel overlap. Luckily my plasma cutter didn’t get wet.

1 Like

The sealant they give with the machine is plenty strong enough !!! just use it as it says and its a beautiful thing !! mines been holding just fine for 2 months now not one issue !!

1 Like