Water Pan welding oops

So I received my water pan and got started on getting my water system ready. I messed up when i put a 1 1/4" to 1’ SS adapter on the bottom. I MiG welded it in place with stainless wire and went a little overboard with the heat and it warped like crazy. Any ideas on how to fix? I was going to try my hand at tig welding but figured a spool of wire was cheaper than a welder. Just looking for thoughts or should I just try to make a new pan.

1 Like

sorry to hear this happened…

I would wait till you get your frame together…then see how it bolts down…you might be lucky and the warp pulls out…

this is why I tell people to bolt the table to the frame…then bolt the two sections together without any caulking…fill each side with about 1/4" water…then slowly melt the seam with a TIG welder…then remove the flange bolts and melt the rest of the pans together…

2 Likes

I was hoping to have it on the frame, but the pans came first then the electronics just shipped. haven’t heard anything on the frame yet. Wish I had a tig and knew what I was doing then I would have done it that way. Seems more controllable.

1 Like

yah…sorry it happened…like I said…wait for the frame…then once the frame is all together…try the pan…it might work out

1 Like

The warping would have to be really bad to have any negative effect. The way the pan bolts down to the frame will flatten it out where the slat supports go. The slat supports sit directly on top of the frame, so it doesn’t matter if the pan is warped. There is probably 3/8" between the pan and the bottom of the slats.

1 Like

You might can straighten it out with some light heat from a propane torch and quinch it with a spray bottle with water. This takes a bit of skill though. If your not careful you could wind up making it worse. I’ve moved a lot of stainless this way. You can also use a body hammer and dolly to move the sheet metal.

1 Like