Water in table cutting aluminum

I assume you have to keep some water in the pan to protect from blowing holes in it while cutting. As mentioned many times, don’t cut aluminum with water BUT don’t you have to protect the pan? I ordered some green cut fluid, does that eliminate and/or help with the hydrogen gas problem?

You can absolutely cut over water. Just be sure to drop the level a bit so as not to trap any gasses under it when your done. If you do alot of aluminum, it’s a good idea to drain and clean out the aluminum dross. And as always use good ventilation around your table.

Just curious why can’t you cut aluminum with water in your pan?

It can trap gas that is made from cutting the aluminum. I have heard it’s really only a concern if there is a deep area for gas to get trapped. With the Langmuir water table, I don’t think it will be a issue. I haven’t changed my water level and have been cutting a bit of aluminum

You can.
Raw aluminum in water gives off hydrogen gas. If allowed to build up in an amount there is the chance of explosion. Thus, ventilate the area and drop the water level a bit so those gasses can escape.

Thanks for the answers.

1 Like

Hello- I have been reading about alum cutting with water table just a question instead of water could you use the pink rv antifrezze as i live in western new york and my plasma cutter is located in my garage.

I’m wondering if RV antifreeze would actually work for cutting fluid. It might not solve the issues with the hydrogen gas because it’s probably water based. But it would be cheaper than the dedicated cutting table products

Might. But the ethanol based RV antifreeze might burn. The glycol is probably okay. For freeze protection I’m planning to use either a bubbler or a small stock tank heater.

Be careful with antifreeze. There are lots of chemicals in it and some of them may not respond well chemically to the temperatures they will be exposed to under a torch. It could be a non-issue or you could be inadvertently creating something noxious.

DO NOT USE ANTIFREEZE! it is flammable

1 Like

PROPYLENE GLYCOL – This type of antifreeze is only available in RV shops. It is non-toxic and the safest for all types of RV plumbing. This antifreeze is non-flammable and does not taint water systems. Propylene glycol is a lubricant and will actually work to extend the life of the seals in your toilets and faucets. It is available in -50 and -100 freeze burst protection. This is the only antifreeze product Bob Scott RV’s uses in personal and customer RV’s and is the only product you will find in our stores.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng0321.html

For those who would buy their RV antifreeze from someone other than Bob Scott’s RVs, you’ll want to make sure you’re getting propolyene glycol based antifreeze. There’s another type of potable water safe RV antifreeze that is ethanol based. That stuff is flammable.

1 Like

Hello- thanks for the input just thinking of ways to cut alm safely and not create an explosion

Hey Langmir Systems could you give us a recommendation about the water in the water table? What is the best product or practice tor the water tray? Thank You…

@logstackers just regular water, no additives - but use the provided zinc anode!

1 Like

Do you also sell the Zinc Anoid?

I ment to say Zinc Anode!

The zinc anode is included with the water table. They also include an extra one.

It threads into the drain fitting in the center of the water table. It’s supposed to last 1000 hours of immersion.

3 Likes