Using a height guide on Plasma torch

I am sure I can not be the first person to think about using a height guide on the torch so to prevent the torch from hitting the edge of a cut if the steel warps a little. My thought would be one of those wheel type height guides. In theory the rollers would keep the torch arc at the same level even if the steel had a slight warp in it and prevent the torch arc from going out if a slight increase in distance happens. Of course the other trick would be to figure out how to make the torch holder move up and down as the rollers hit a higher spot and then drop back down on lower spots. Maybe a spring type setup. I have had numerous head aches with different issues but most my own mistakes but the torch distant with a Razorweld cut 45 torch tip to metal is by far my biggest pain point. It seems my torch doesn’t like a distance over the thickest guage that comes with the Crossfire. I mean even a thousand of an inch the arc goes out. If I set using the thinner guage then I periodically run into the torch dropping into a cut out and hanging. Just a thought about the wheeled height guide so if anyone has tried this and wants to save me a lot of trial and error let me know.

Thanks

You mean something that moves with the height of the steel up and down… maybe look into thc instead of a wheel and a spring.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s a viable concept, mainly because of the direction changes, I don’t see it sliding smoothly.

Tons of people run their crossfires successfully without THC. I think holding down the material is the first step. I’ve had to do it on my pro.

2 Likes