USB Malfunction error

I am new to the crossfire pro and just got it up and running. I created the bottle opener from the tutorial videos and tried to cut it. Everything seems to be working fine until the cut is about half complete. At that point the gantry arm stops moving but the torch and air remain on. I tried it 3 times and the gantry arm stops in the same place with torch on. I get an error that reads this. "The last USB device connected to this computer malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it.

“Recommendation try reconnecting the device. If windows still does not recognize it, your device may not be working properly”

Clearly my computer recognizes the table as it starts the cut.

Any ideas on what could be going on?

That’s sounding like it might be some interference from the plasma cutter with the USB connection. Do you have the chokes on the USB cable? How close is the plasma cutter to the control box / pc? (farther away better)…

@james5 is correct, you are getting interference from your plasma cutter. Fortunately we have fixed this issue permanently for all production units that are now shipping and were shipped in the recent past. Unfortunately you received your machine prior to when we identified and implemented the fix.

The fix is quite easy, it requires you to remove the L1 inductor from the motion control board and solder a short across the pads. If you don’t feel comfortable doing this work you can remove and send the motion control board to us and we will do it for you.

Here is a link that describes the repair process: FIX: Interference From Plasma Cutter Freezing FireControl

1 Like