Upgrade Razorweld 45 To New X45 Torch?

I just saw a handful of folks saying the life expectancy of the hypertherm consumables have a drastically longer life expectancy

Well of coarse they will. Hypertherm consumables are made to withstand a lot more power then almost all the plasma cutters on here can put out. But you also have to under stand that you only have a few choices on consumables.

Also pretty nice to be able to go to the local weld supply and pick some up

Your right if that’s were you buy consumables. But I can bet that most people will be ordering them from online aftermarket made in China stuff because they are cheaper and will not get the life out of the consumables as expected.

My local welding store is 48 miles one way. I do buy all my gas, stick rods and tig welding rods there, but I haven’t bought consumables form them in 20 years you can get OEM on line a lot cheaper.

2 Likes

Mechanic is correct, I have the standard torch which they say is an S45 but it’s an IPT, so I use the IPT consumables that mechanic sells (the Italian kind). I have tried the Chinese ones and just didn’t get the same life plus one out of every five or so would give me terrible cut quality. For the price difference, I just didn’t see a reason to go with anything but the real deal.

AFA the original question, I just don’t get it. It would be pretty cool to get consumables locally, but I would much much MUCH rather have the capability and functionality of a machine torch with the shielded consumables.

I honestly wonder if the Hypertherm consumables on the new torch last any longer than the geniune Italian IPT consumables I’ve been using…

Sure the Hypertherm consumables last a lot longer, due to all the patents they have on the design and high quality material. You also pay a lot for them too. I just bought 10 tips 10 electrodes $120 for my hypertherm.
What is more important is to focus on torch cutting height, air quality, cut speed etc as all of those have a huge affect on consumable life.
Is it worth buying a $2000 hypertherm to save a few bucks on consumables…probably not but that’s up to you.
Is it worth buying a $2000 hypertherm for ALL of the benefits… probably a better question to ask yourself.

I honestly can’t stress it enough but from my experience proper height control has a huge affect on consumable life. So if you aren’t needing a new plasma cutter just save your money for height control. Its worth it’s weight in gold

3 Likes

so why do they send s45 consumables with the razorweld cut 45 machine when we should be using the ipt consumables also would that cause a flame out after a few seconds into a cut I have tried all of the tips that everyone has said here in the forum and no luck air is dry and correct ground is good consumables are new cutting .0625 steel at 65 inches a min at 27 amps with .0625 shim also where do we get the ipt consumables from.

I don’t know why they send S45 consumables with the Razorweld 45.
I carry a complete line of IPT consumables from the manufacture ( made in Italy ) or you can get the Chinese copy’s on ebay and amazon.

1 Like

I don’t know why they send S45 consumables with the Razorweld 45. When its not a Trafimet S45 torch

Question anyone able to order just the new touch? X45 to Razorweld.(i have 30I)
I called completewelding. I got a pricing 339 +tax is that sound right ?

Why would you want a 45 amp torch on a 30 amp plasma cutter???

@mechanic416, for those of us that have the 45Amp razorweld machine, is it worth moving to the x45 torch if you already have a s45 machine torch? Are the cuts better or consumable life better?

also, they don’t make a consumable for the S45 that will handle the full 45 amps, so I am stuck using 40 Amps with a .9 mm nozzle. 30A for a .8 mm nozzle, and so on.

You do not have a S45 torch so why are you using S45 consumables?

I bought an s45 machine torch. I do not have the original torch any more. I am looking to see if an S45 machine torch compares well to the new torch that they are offering with the razorweld. s45

would you take the new torch on the razorweld over a machine torch like I stated in my previous post? The s45 machine torch? Looking to reduce bevel but if it’s sixes I really don’t want to spend the money.s45

There are some 1.0mm/50 amp tips available for the S45

2 Likes

If I were doing it I would go with a PTM60 torch. But you already have a S45M torch so I would use it. Just get good consumables as most being sold are aftermarket stuff.

The X45 is a hand torch and really is not a upgrade as far as I am concerned.

1 Like

OK guys. Just stumbled across this thread for the first time & thought I’d share & hopefully get some advise. This is the first I’ve read abt the difference between s45/ipt…i bought one of the batch 1 crossfires & razor cut 45’s, I now know it is the IPT style which may be my problem since I’ve been using s45 consumables as directed by langmuir. I had a catostrophic failure this weekend, cutting 11ga on 35a, had just changed consumables out to make sure I got good clean cuts, literally had no more than 5 mins on the set and this happens…

Torch is toast, so, which torch would you recommend I replace it w/? I have another dedicated hand torch for free cutting so is there a better machine torch for the razor cut 45?