Unboxing and assembly videos

Anyone planning on doing unboxing and assembly videos for us 3 minute late orders?

1 Like

I was thinking about doing a video covering this. I’m no professional videographer but i’ll give it a whack. any tips to making a good video?

also: What topics do you want to see covered?

1 Like

What I personally would find helpful is knowing just how it arrives. Do they just drop it off at the curb and expect you to bring it in? Right outside the garage? In the garage? How are the parts packaged?

Can 1 person manage to put it together or will I need some help? I think they stated an additional person would help for the concrete part. Tramming the spindle in particular would help to see. I’m sure LS will cover all this as the time comes but it’ll still help to see it from an additional angle.

Time lapses are always fun to watch.

3 Likes

Might be good to check with the courier delivering the machine to you. Standards of delivery might vary so for instance some couriers might bring a pallet jack along. Or you might request one at a nominal charge. I think most use a power endgate to lower the pallet (which would imply a pallet jack to get the pallet to the endgate from within the truck box. Hope this helps.

Tikyn

In the FAQ section.

How does MR-1 ship and what does it cost?

MR-1 ships exclusively via freight. Approximate dimensions of the shipping crate are 48”x48”x 40”. Depending on options and accessories, the crate will weigh between 500 and 700 pounds. All MR-1 machines will ship out of our Conroe, Texas facility.

Depending on location, shipping will cost approximately $300-$500 depending on location. Additional fees will be charged if liftgate service is required. Actual freight charges will be calculated prior to shipping to your specific address.

All add ons and accessories ship for free if purchased at the same time as the machine.

I guess if it’s too big to strap to a hand truck…worst case scenario I’ll have to pry the crate open at the curb or in the driveway and carry the pieces in by myself.

I would like to see the spindle set up. I think it is standard Iso20 but don’t know how the belt overdrive is attached.

@BrianS I would love it if it were ISO 20 with interchangeable holders. The specs state it’s ISO ER-20

I’ve never seen a lift truck not also have a pallet jack, that’s how they get it off the truck! A Gatorade and a $10 bill might even get it into your shop depending on who unloads it. Be sure to have a completely smooth surface to roll into a shop. Pallet Jack wheels don’t like bumps.

The part number they provide is misleading. Doesn’t ISO refer to a spindle taper? IE ISO 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 40, 50?

And ER refer to collet size?

Not too sure, but I don’t think they use a tapered spindle. Think it’s just a nut you tighten the collet with. Not sure where you’re sourcing the pictures.

ISO is probably referring to International Organization for Standardization.

It looks like the spindle has an ER20 collet chuck with wrench flats on the shaft. I have seen nothing to suggest there is more to it than that.

1 Like

We know the MR-1 uses ER20 collets because that’s what they sell for their tooling options.
Pics are YT screenshots from a Haas video.

LS specs say ISO for their spindle taper and yes, it most likely stands for International Organization for Standardization.

1 Like

the spindle is tapered to take er20 directly with a nut to hold it. Think of it like a router.

3 Likes

Of the pictures of the Haas machine, what you can expect is the left hand side, not the right hand side. So the tool, er collet nut, and the er collet.

If the MR 1 had that er holder, you’d see a draw bar on top that secures the holder. I’ve seen 0 evidence of that. I don’t believe the holder would even fit under the gantry.

Routers are different in that their shaft is integrated with the electric motor and not described as having a spindle taper. They are normally direct drive and turn 20K+ rpm. Bearings for the motor also support the spindle.

The MR-1 uses a 4000 rpm servo motor that drives a separate shaft through a GT2 timing belt pulley set up with a 2:1 overdrive ratio.

There must be a spindle with bearings to support the ER collet and pulley arrangement. If it were just a straight custom made shaft then taper and ISO have no meaning.

A spindle taper or machine taper come in many configurations.

http://www.tools-n-gizmos.com/specs/Tapers.html#DIN2080

While an ER collet has a taper, I have never seen one described as a spindle or machine taper. Not saying impossible but no precedence I’m aware. If the spindle is not integral like with a router the ER collet ID is usually preceded by a shank/spindle designation.

If they used a standardized machine taper this would be a good thing. It would mean other tool holders, inexpensive ones would be available.

Different lengths and collet options.

Shell face mills, which I much prefer over fly cutters.

And if someone wants to design a ATC, much easier than designing one that changes ER collets.

1 Like

Here is a video of changing the tool on the MR-1. It’s just a nut that tightens the collet. There isn’t room to change one of those holders. A traditional ATC is impossible without a complete overhaul of the spindle.

The way those holders work is that a draw bar goes in through the top of the spindle while the holder goes into the bottom of the spindle, then they screw together, securing the holder into the spindle. More advanced versions use a power draw bar, and then the ATC.

What the MR-1 uses is more akin to my Taig. Let me show you it…

Just a collet and nut.

ER collets can be very precise. But the problem they have is similar to that of an R8 collet. Under load the tool can slip and screw itself into the work. Hopefully, not enough for a tool disaster, but it changes the Z position of the tool. That’s why, in production, tool holders with Weldon shank endmills are prefered. For the loads expected on a light duty machine such as the MR-1, the ER collets should work fine, just make sure you do a good job tightening them. BTW, it is a good idea to have a nut for each collet you are using. The collets snap into the nut. If you don’t get the collet to snap into position, the collect and nut can be damaged, and the tool come loose during operation. A dedicated collet/nut pair will help prevent this problem.

6 Likes

Are the Weldon shanks the ones with a flat ground on them for a set screw?

Yes, but it won’t effect the ER20 holding it.
I would buy end mills that didn’t have them unless they are a bargain.

Solid carbide (high $) endmills usually have smooth shanks.

1 Like