Troubleshooting

My table has been down for months. LS customer service is useless. 4 different emails with each getting a few useless responses with no fix. I have asked the many times if I can send them my electronics box so they can troubleshoot it. Crickets, they just ask questions that I answered in the email they responded to.
Is there anyone out there that can troubleshoot this thing? I will ship it and pay someone to figure this out.

Wes,
You are frustrated and I can read that in your posts.

You have had some success you said and cuts without issues…that is a good thing.

Yes, I see you have some problems you have brought forward, and many many times members here have tried to help, and you have had some success.

You have even mentioned that Langmuir has helped by sending a few parts and responding to emails…

Several times I have seen members ask questions and provide some help…but you have either replied with more problems or not providing us feedback on what did go right.

I have been going through your posts and history.

• power supply was on 220 not 110 and you fixed that with the help of members and replies from Langmuir (Nov 2 to 3, 20 20)
  • X axis smoking, Langmuir responded the same day and asked for pictures and for you to stop cutting. (Dec 12, 20)
  • You had size cutting question and seemed to be fine (Oct 8, 21)
  • X stepper motor issues…members suggested help and you provided some feedback, then stated that Langmuir is send you a new driver (Dec 13 to 16, 21)
  • now Jan 17 you indicate you have used the table a dozen times and issues. you are asked about the screw lengths and you answer about pins…not the screws…then nothing…
  • today you complain about no help and call Langmuir useless…and ask for help for anyone to help trouble shoot.

we all want to help…even Langmuir as they are known for excellent service, so by calling them useless does not seem to be accurate…from what I read.

now let us start at the beginning with some information to help trouble shoot your issues.

• You have a Pro Table with THC
  • I believe you are using Fusion360 for design and post processing…right?
  • what is your Plasma cutter you are using?
  • Are you on a laptop or a desktop PC?
  • if you are on a laptop is it plugged in or on battery when trying to cut?
  • are there times when you have had no problems cutting?..or has it been bad cuts every time?
  • where is your material clamp attached to when cutting
  • take a deep breath…pause for a bit…
  • when you open the electronics (power unplugged) box are all the wires and chips properly seated and secure?
  • the screws that hold each connector…do they stick into the control box or do they sit and hold each plug securely?
  • are all the plugs in good shape…no melted pins or sockets?
  • are all your cables tied together or coiled up?..
  • can you possibly provide a few pictures of your table set-up?

do not take any of my comments the wrong way…we want to help…I have had my share of issues in the past.

I hope this helps…

4 Likes

Dec 13, the stepper issue is the when the issue started. It wasn’t a driver as thought.

• You have a Pro Table with THC
    Yes, a pro table with THC
  • I believe you are using Fusion360 for design and post processing…right?
    Running latest F360
  • what is your Plasma cutter you are using?
    Using a RC45 that I bought with the table
  • Are you on a laptop or a desktop PC?
    using a laptop.
  • if you are on a laptop is it plugged in or on battery when trying to cut?
    I always remove charging when I cut
  • are there times when you have had no problems cutting?..or has it been bad cuts every time?
    About 4 months ago, I began having to restart F360 to get the L to R motor to work. That was the Dec 13 post. Then it became to where it wouldn’t move at all.
  • where is your material clamp attached to when cutting
    I try to keep my ground close to the cutting area.
  • take a deep breath…pause for a bit…
  • when you open the electronics (power unplugged) box are all the wires and chips properly seated and secure?
    Yes, it appears they are.
  • the screws that hold each connector…do they stick into the control box or do they sit and hold each plug securely?
    They appear to be be secure
  • are all the plugs in good shape…no melted pins or sockets?
    All plugs appear secure. I have unplugged and plugged, wiggles and all have no play or melting…
  • are all your cables tied together or coiled up?..
    It is exactly how it was shipped to me. The table has made a dozen cuts and maybe a total run time of 45 minutes.
  • can you possibly provide a few pictures of your table set-up?
    I will take a few tomorrow. Ok now the strange thing I am trying to explain to LS. If I unplug the 2 y motors and plug the X motor into one of those ports, it runs and jogs fine. Plug the X back into its port, it runs fine, plug all back into their ports, the X (L-R) will not move.

this is great information…just some clarifications for a few things.

Is the clamp on the metal you are cutting or clamped to “close to the cutting area”…this is important as it needs to be clamped to the metal you are cutting…clamping to slats can cause an incomplete connection and possible arcing between the metal being cut and the slats…and a clarification for terminology…it is not a ground…it is actually the positive of the plasma.

Previously when you had the melted female connection on the electronics box you were asked if the screws that hold the male plug to the female socket on the case are too long and poking through the connector
we are not looking to see if it securely fastened, but is another issue could be caused by too long of screws, here is a thread with some visual help.

again this is not clear in your response…the cables should not be coiled up like a hose or a long extension cord…then should be all separated when is use…we noted this to a user as it can cause problems…here is a picture posted by 68Wiskey…

some of this information clarification and the pictures will be helpful.

this is a great bit of information.

So try this…I would like to see if you have any problems when each axis is used independent of other motors or actions
If at any stage in the following procedures you run into problems…STOP…let us know what it is…

Unplug the motors…plug one motor into the X port and run that motor back and forth see that the motor responds properly…do this with each motor in the X port…this will confirm that each motor is responding to a command.

Did each motor respond to a command while plugged into the X port?

Plug only the Y motors into the box
Now loosen your couplers on the Y axis…loosen them so the motors can spin free…both sides and both motors.
Plug the Y motors back in to their ports…try moving the motors see if both motors run…see if they spin…
if they both seem to work now retighten the couplers and run only the Y axis so the gantry goes front to back, and the motors do it together.

Are you getting equal Y movement pushing the gantry back and forth?
Are there any noises other than the gantry moving nice and smooth…no binding or stalling?

If everything works properly at this point we go to the next step…plug in the X motor…
Without moving the Y…move the X side to side a few times…

If everything is good and all runs fine…then download the Pro break-in program…run the program in FireControl…
This will move the X and Y together back and forth across the table…

Does everything work properly up to now?

Have you ever had errors show up on the screen when you were having issues before?
did you ever take pictures of the errors if you had them?

1 Like

Clamp. I always clamp the metal being cut. 1st thing is found when I started, better cutting.

Cables are not tied together. Sorry, I thought you meant the wires inside the electronics box. I will loop and zip tie them today and see what that does.

As far as the motors… I have swapped all the motors independently to all the ports and all of them work until I plug them all in where they go. Frustrating when separately it will run on another port and even in its port, but stops if I plug all motors in. So yes, I have unplugged all motors and swapped them around. That is something LS had me do back in Dec… They never responded back after I answered that email.

Gantry, with X removed it moved flawlessly and no binding.

If everything works properly at this point we go to the next step…plug in the X motor…
Without moving the Y…move the X side to side a few times… This is where it stops

Your first response was great…you detailed your answers in the order I had them and I only needed to clarify a couple of things.

This time you I feel went through the information and requests and missed the point of parts of it.
I clearly wrote

you respond with the complete opposite…do NOT coil the lines to and from the plasma or the control box…

When trouble shooting certain things need to be done in certain order and detailed to ensure we donot miss anything…

I wrote the trouble shooting to see if you had done this…but you blanket statement a reply that you have swapped the motors…you never clarified if you tried what I asked…

this has not been answered…

I understand this is repeating and frustrating…but I need to know what you did and if each step is done…trouble shooting is one step at a time…follow a procedure to eliminate each possible problem.

1 Like

Hey Wes,

You never replied to our email that we sent on Thursday (1/27). Did you receive it?

Reilly,
Yes, replied on the 27th at 1213pm to Aksel
As well as the 25th, 24th, 21st. 20th, 12/16, 12/29 and it goes on. I have gone into the issues with 4 or 5 diffent ppl through emails since Nov. Is it too hard to make a phone call? Someone from there called me in Nov when I first posted my table was down… then nothing. Like I said in the email, I am about over this. I have a $4,000 table taking up the floor in my shop. I am about ready to sell it and be done with all of it. So far I am not impressed with your customer service.

It seems that your email to us 27th did not reach us - could you resend it, or paste the contents of the email in this thread?

The question that we are still waiting for an answer to is: For this test, be sure to fully seat the X-axis motor plug into the X-axis motor port, then use the screws on both sides of the motor plug to hold it securely in place. Once the screws are tight, grab hold of the motor plug and mimic the motion of unplugging and plugging it from the motor port. Is the connection tight and secure, or is there excessive play here? (Again, we are not looking for back-and-forth or up-and-down lash; what we are checking for in this test is whether the motor plug could possibly be backing out of its connection to the motor port, even while the screws that hold the motor plug in place are fully tightened, meaning essentially that the motor is only being partially plugged into the port.)

Also, just to make sure that we are on the same page: The nature of the issue that you were troubleshooting with us via email was an intermittent jog control issue affecting only the X-axis motor port, regardless of which motor is connected to the X-axis motor port. Does this still accurately describe the symptoms that you are currently experiencing? Or is the nature of the issue that you are experiencing different now?

1 Like

Can you clarify exactly what the intermittent motor issue is? Does the motor plugged into the Y1 port sometimes not jog at all? Does the motor plugged into the Y1 port sometimes move the incorrect direction? Would you be able to send us a short video of the issue occurring?
Email sent 1/27
Unplug all Y and X. I can fully plug any motor into any (X & Y) and it functions properly in each Y and X port. All ports are tight with no play. Are we clear to here. Now plug in X, it works fine… Plug Y’s back in and X stops. As simple as I can explain it. I am over this, as I have asked over a dozen times for someone to call me so I can explain it better, but you guys refuse. I am over this and LS…

intermittent jog control issue affecting only the X-axis motor port, regardless of which motor is connected to the X-axis motor port. Does this still accurately describe the symptoms that you are currently experiencing?
Yes, 4 months ago it started. I would restart FC and X would start again, then after a few times it stopped responding. I have removed the Y’s and it will jog fine, reinstall the Y’s and its back to the issue. In Nov we thought it was a stepper board (i think thats what its called) i thought the green light was not lit, but when I rechecked, it was green. So that was not the issue.

This is an interesting symptom, I’ve only heard of this occurring once or twice before. The only thing that I can think of is that the power supply in the electronics enclosure could potentially be receiving or outputting too little to sustain multiple motors connected at once. I have one more set of test for you to perform to check the power supply output. If that doesn’t work, we will want to swap electronics enclosures with you.

Please use extreme caution proceeding below, do not touch the power supply or the cables inside of the electronics enclosure while is is powered on. Only touch using your DMM leads.

1. Before powering on the electronics enclosure and checking the power supply output, check for any loose connections at the bottom of the power supply by gently tugging each cable near where it connects to the terminal screw. Tighten any terminal screws that look like they may be loose. Only power on the electronics enclosure when you are finished with this step.

2. You will notice the series of terminal screws at the bottom of the power supply is numbered 1 through 9. Use a DMM to measure DC voltage between terminal screws 2 and 5 while attempting to jog the X-axis at 300 IPM, expecting 36v.

3. If you read less than 36v during step 2:
    a. Is the electronics enclosure’s power cable plugged directly into the wall socket, or is it plugged into a power strip?
    b. Is there a different wall socket that you can plug the electronics enclosure into? We don’t mean the other receptacle of the same wall socket, we mean a completely different socket that is located elsewhere, possibly on a different wall or better yet on a different breaker.

Thats what I was trying to explain from the start. It was like it was starving for power.

It will be Thursday before I can get to it. Thank you.

3a. It is on its own outlet 10’ from the breaker box.

3b. There is another outlet next to it on a separate circuit to run laptop, I tested both outletsto confirmit was not a power loss at outlet. Both tested 120. I will switch outlets.

I’ll keep an eye on this thread on Thursday when you have the results from steps 1 and 2.

If you read low voltage output from the power supply, we will get a replacement power supply shipped to you.

If you read good voltage output from the power supply, we will swap your current electronics enclosure with a different one and arrange for your current one to make its way back to us.

Don’t post your address here since this is a public forum, but can you confirm that the shipping address that your machine was delivered to is still the best one for us to use?

Yes still same address. We will see where we are Thursday. Thank you, looking forward to resolving this.

@wesmccarroll Looks like you are getting some help here…I hope this does work all out for you. the tables are fun and a great thing…I am sorry you have had these problems.

@langmuir-aksel @langmuir-reilly
thank you both for jumping in and sorting this out…as I have said you guys are great…

I look forward to hearing the end result for information and any future troubleshooting we try and help with.

4 Likes

Just touching base, did you have the chance to check the output voltage from the power supply yesterday?

I took everything apart and put it back together. I deleted all SW and reinstalled. Everything seems to be working. It will be warm enough to cut this week. ( I need to heat my workshop). Thank you and I will post in a few days when I try a cut.

2 Likes