Trouble cutting 3/8” with Crossfire Pro and Primeweld Cut60 (Not solved yet)

I was cruising the internet and I found a legend that sounds amazingly similar to your story:

There was a saga that began in Nevada one day,
It was suppose to be fun but it was not going that way.
There was a young man set out to tame the Langmuir table,
But instead his efforts were all met with the lore of this fable.

You see, the table had plans of its own to give a head fake,
No one could have predicted the journey he would take.
The torch galloped and jolted with the energy of Thor,
It was enough that most people would have said “No More!”

But it was Crazy Casey who doesn’t give up as is his motto,
He will fight until winning as he knows he’s got to.
Failure is not a word he will say,
But the saga went on for 80* more days.

Many people got involved from the company and the forum,
Everyone and everything was rooting for him.
One cutter, then another and another proved no worth,
Crazy Casey started to feel as helpless as the day of his birth.

Finally there was a light that would appear,
Could this be the answer that he waited to hear?
Scott and BigDaddy and many others were there to push him through,
It was the celebration to end all so lets have a brew.

So is the legend of Crazy Casey from Nevada.

*(80 days…it is a ‘legend’ remember, not meant to be statistically correct!)

9 Likes

And the offer still stands for Casey his wife and the Crazy two year old for Thanksgiving in Chattanooga.

2 Likes

Oops. We already cast Wilfred Brinley. Hope you don’t mind :joy:

7 Likes

Did I tell you that all of a sudden Fire Control started freezing on me? Might want to tell your wife to set another plate.

4 Likes

Great job and persistence @CrazyCasey! Having this community was definitely a selling point when I went to purchase my table and this thread definitely proves its worth. Likely would have been a much much longer road if you relied solely on LS support.

To me, it seems that all of the issues you encountered likely did NOT play a role in the demise of two PrimeWeld plasma cutters. Are you happy so far with the Everlast?

Can’t wait for the next video on your channel!

1 Like

I find it kinda funny they are now sending washers. Back when they first sent the new screws out, I sent them an email showing how I had used washers instead because the screws I received were too short. Due to the countersinking of the threds in the nuts, two threads at most were engaging. I included pics of the too short condition vs the with washers.

They sent me back an email saying ‘thanks but no thanks our engineering group is on top of it’… :grin:

Stepper Connection CM Screws

Stepper Connection Original Scre Plus Washer

Between the threads you lose because of the interference and then the countersink, I measured only about 2mm of thread engagement to hold the connection.
Stepper Connection Nut

1 Like

This is fantastic! I read “80 days” and said “heeeey…”, and then I read this at the end and just about died of laughter.

I did a little bit of cutting with the Everlast yesterday. I still have a lot of work to do trying to figure out cut settings on it, but I feel like it maybe produces a slightly cleaner cut line. Perhaps the torch is working better, as the Primeweld “real Italian Tecmo” (which looks IDENTICAL to the Chinese Everlast torch, and nothing like the torches George sells) always felt a little bit sticky and didn’t feel like it was flowing full air pressure. As a side note, I need to learn how to disassemble and lubricate a Tecmo-style machine torch. But to answer your question, so far I like the Everlast machine.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the Z-axis motor issue was most likely due to a short in the motor cable; which is why it was so sporadic at first. And why it was so bad when I initially rerouted my torch lead, and the IHS/Z-axis cables per @DnKFab’s recommendation, but then seemed to get better again, after running the machine for a while, and then why it failed completely after I loaded the new Everlast torch onto the machine, disturbing that cable a third time.

I think the first Primeweld failure was a fluke (overcurrent light). I think the second one probably still works, and would have continued to work fine for a long time, especially on raw voltage, despite that burnt up looking circuit board and resistor. I have no opinion on what went wrong there; I think it was probably just a bad resistor. @TinWhisperer and I have “made assumptions” that the failed resistor is part of the voltage dividing circuit, and Primeweld seems to have some QC issues around that part of their machine.

I think the Primeweld is still a fine choice for a Langmuir table, but I think Langmuir should change their recommendation to ONLY use Raw Voltage with them. This group is all about eliminating variables, and that voltage divider is a HUGE variable.

That said, for a few bucks more, the Everlast is a fine machine. I like the clear control cover, even though it’s poorly designed, and I like the external air regulator. The machine torch lead is the flat, flexible type with separate conductors and air line, which is much more compatible with the Langmuir machine’s cable arm than the Primeweld machine torche’s huge stiff single lead. It also puts less pressure on Langmuir’s somewhat flimsy machine torch mount. I know that the single lead is considered an upgrade, but it’s overkill for the Crossfire tables, and actually can be a burden to table performance.

“And”, in the words of the immortal Forrest Gump, “that’s all I have to say about that.”

I hope to give the machine a bit of a workout today, and will hopefully have some pictures of parts worth sharing soon. :grinning:

6 Likes

I feel like my favorite TV show I’ve been watching for many seasons just had its show ending grand finally… :slightly_frowning_face: :slightly_frowning_face: :confused: :confused:

5 Likes

Let’s hope there isn’t a sequel they are always worse.

2 Likes

I think you might have jinxed me, Phil. Your post was 17 minutes ago. 12 minutes ago she froze up on me AGAIN!

I think the Z-axis motor issue may have been something that failed in addition to whatever was happening previously.

Man, I don’t even know where to start.

1 Like

Noooo don’t go into the woods!!! Uh oh not cool. What has changed?

1 Like

How long has it been since you restarted your computer? Mine gets sluggish if I don’t from time to time.

1 Like

About 5 hours. It’s doing the same thing it has been.

Live voltage, torch speed, and THC lights freezing.

Something else ground out maybe… Man I thought I was unlucky!

1 Like

Nothing has changed since making a TON of successful cuts**, except this time I was running a program.

**I was also cutting on a higher amperage, which could potentially transfer more interference into the electronics.

Man, it’s cutting beautifully too.

3 Likes

Isolate the work again and see if it goes back to normal.

1 Like

I only assumed what it was for, not weather it had failed or not.

try checking the usb to table ohms while using some of the other circuits the house or property , like the dryer, range, compressor, even the tables break in program while measuring for ohms.

I sure it has been discussed above but you are using raw voltage directly from inside the unit and NOT from the cpc port, correct?

2 Likes

Also maybe take a look at consumables. If you made a ton of cuts you may have blown through them. That shouldn’t cause a software freeze but good to rule out…

1 Like

This is correct.

1 Like