Trouble cutting 3/8” with Crossfire Pro and Primeweld Cut60 (Not solved yet)

Regardless of what the voltage divider inside of the Everlast plasma cutter is set to, our recommendation is to wire all Everlast plasma cutters via RAW voltage if you’re going to use THC.

Aside from that, the ‘i’ series of Everlast cutters will work just fine!

4 Likes

Yeah Casey, what Aksel said!!
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hope it works out.

For those of us still using the PW Cut 60, can you try to hook it up while making as few other changes as possible. That way we will be sure that is what solves the problems you’re having.

Do you know yet when you’ll get your new unit?

2 Likes

I actually LOL’d, John. Yes sir.

3 Likes

By the way guys, I think I did you all a major disservice by not still wiring the Primeweld Cut60 to raw voltage and testing it when I had the chance. That burnt up piece looks like a ballast resistor (I work on a lot of old cars with points ignition), and it connects between the torch and work clamp lugs on the front PC board:

It’s just a guess, but I could see that resistor having something to do with the divided voltage signal, as there also seems to be a path to the work clamp that bypasses that resistor.

It would have been very interesting to see if the machine worked on raw voltage, as this could then be something to check out on any Primeweld machine that’s giving the user trouble (you can see that resistor through the vents on the front of the case without even taking anything apart if you shine a flashlight through).

I’ve tagged George @mechanic416 a couple of times on this thread, but I think it could be really helpful to Primeweld users if he could shed some light on what that resistor does (if it’s even a resistor).

I asked Gene at Primeweld that same question, but he wasn’t sure what he was looking at.

Here is a historical discussion about that resistor

Yes.

2 Likes

I have never seen that resistor get that hot before on any of the Primeweld plasma cutters I have worked on and I have worked on quite a few. I would only guess its from not getting a good (ground) from the work clamp and causing a lot of high resistance.

3 Likes

Right. I read that way back when. Wasn’t the guy’s problem, and George said they all look like that. I just read through it again, no discussion of what exactly it does, that I saw…unless I missed it.

And yeah, you’re right. And I apologize. It was selfish of me…

I assume it is tapping off the main raw voltage to use as a raw voltage measurement in different parts on the machine while limiting the current. They use the resistor so it it wont send too much current to these different circuit boards throughout the machine.

Those resistor are basically an electrical element and are suppose to get hot (to/while) limiting current. There is a chance that was a residue and/or a label just reacted poorly to the heat causing the extreme discoloration.

This resistor ultimately feed the raw voltage to the CNC/voltage dividing board with raw voltage at a limited current.

the mid board in this drawing is the one with the resistor I believe.

2 Likes

That makes sense based on the connections. You said that is was 10 watt 20 ohm in the other post, so it obviously wouldn’t be directly responsible for stepping down the voltage to the CNC port, but it could still be upstream of the “voltage divider”, correct?

Nevermind, just read the rest of the paragraph. So that certainly seems like it could be a suspect…

Yes

this resistor limits Current ( amps)

The voltage stay the same.

this voltage is then taken by the CNC/voltage divider board and divided then sent to the CNC port.

Warning I am making a lot of assumptions because I d ont have a machine or a full wiring diagram of it

2 Likes

Interesting. If you recall, on the first machine, I had the work clamp connected to the table drain, per the original Crossfire instruction manual, for the first few cuts, and I only made one more cut before the O/C light triggered. Gene said that plasma was burnt up in the same way, and that he thought I must have had a huge power surge.

The second machine had issues from the first cut, but I only cut virgin metal, with the ground clamp directly on the metal with that one.

Could there be something wrong on the other end; the torch? I’ve used the same torch on both machines.

I find it peculiar that I’ve had two plasmas now with the same issues, but I’ve only been messing with this thing for a month, and I’ve been here now 6 months, and had zero issues with any of my welders, computers, personal electronics, or appliances.

I guess I’ll know if the Everlast plasma fails too.

I know how you feel about assumptions, but your logic seems sound.

1 Like

Unless that resistor is totally burnt up and open the plasma cutter should work. Unless it took out something else with it.

The odds of 2 Primeweld plasma cutters being bad and most likely from different orders is really slim.

I always recommend to wire the Primewelds to raw voltage as well as the Everlast plasma cutters I sell if they are using them on a Lanmuir table.

3 Likes

Thanks George. I appreciate your insight.

I know you guys have stressed it, and @AVRCUSTOMS has also found it to be true; @langmuir-aksel, you guys should consider recommending raw voltage on the new generation of Primeweld’s too. I know there are people successfully using the voltage divider, but they seem to be the exception and not the rule.

Well, my Everlast 62i plasma cutter showed up less than 24 hours after I placed the order. Gotta love that! But right off the bat, the air pressure DRO read about 6psi OVER what I had my regulator set to, which is somewhat problematic since they won’t let you run higher than 72psi through the cutter.

So, if I’m set to 72psi, I’m only going to have 66psi at the torch, which could be problematic on thicker material.

I called Everlast’s tech guy, who is very nice. He said that more than likely the gauge on my regulator is off. I told him that it was a very expensive regulator, and that it agreed with the gauge on my Primeweld plasma, and he said that analog gauges are notoriously inaccurate, and that digital pressure sensors are extremely accurate. Ok…

He had me run some tests with air flowing through the plasma cutter, and said that my 5 psi “air on” pressure drop was WAY TOO EXCESSIVE, and when I told him I had a $600 Motorguard 3 stage air dryer at the table, he said I needed to “get that off of there”, and said I’d never get the Everlast cutter to work properly with more than a single stage filter/dryer. :man_facepalming:

Anyway, I figured you’d appreciate all of that @TinWhisperer

I guess I’m moving forward, but confidence is not high.

So, I’ve got the plasma cutter all wired up to raw voltage. I asked if I could do that without voiding the warranty, and he said they make exceptions for Langmuir customers, because of the Langmuir system’s voltage reading issues.

Anyway, I’ll make some test cuts tomorrow, with my way over restricted air setup and “problematic” CNC table. :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

I see a 2-4 psi drop on the digital meter on my everlast with no issue. I have had the static pressure indicate 80 and when cutting drop to 78 i do believe. as long as your filter is not blocked i would run with it in place and see how you do. I cut 3/8 at 65 psi with great results. those consumables will burn up quickly with wet or dirty air.

2 Likes

I thought they wouldn’t let you go that high? Tech guy told me the machine will fault and shut down the arc if I set pressure much higher than 72psi.

The guys said that a 2-3psi drop is acceptable. Any more than that is not. I think their manual says that they only require 5cfm @ 90psi, if I remember correctly*.

My air compressor is a 5hp (overrated), 60 gallon, 11cfm @ 90 psi unit, and it’s plumbed with 3/4” line, all the fittings are oversized, and it only necks down right at the cutter itself, because they use those 1/4 PTC fittings. When the compressor would kick on cutting at 70 psi with the Primeweld, it would shut back off again while I was still cutting, so I’m of the impression that my air supply is adequate, and thanks to my dryer setup, it IS dry.

I mostly typed all that in the last post to illustrate how frustrating talking to the plasma cutter people can be, because the advice on this forum rarely lines up with what they have to say…

I guess I’m just sick of people telling me “that won’t work”…

Especially when their equipment is what seemed suspect enough to prompt the call in the first place.

*Correction, they do specify 9cfm for CNC use. I’m not sure if I have 9cfm after the air dryer, but still, my compressor turns off while cutting at 70psi WITH the air dryer; I think I’ll keep it.

1 Like

I think i’d take what the Everlast “tech” (keyboard cowboy probably) under noted advisement. But fallow the advise of the Everlast owners that actually run the cutters everyday in the field.

2 Likes