Titanium 45a on 30amp breaker

Any electricians out there help me understand how a titanium 45amp inverter plasma cutter runs on a 30amp breaker?
From what I understand you can only pull 3600 to 4300 watts through a 30amp breaker before it trips. At 45amps output its input is only 29amps but thats like almost 7000 watts, right? If I set the cutter past 23amps (about a 15amp draw?) It trips the 30amp breaker.
Im so confused …

First of all, are you running on 240V or 120V? THAT matters.

If you’re tripping a 30A breaker then you’re probably running on 120V and, as you say, you won’t get 45A out of it. If you wire for 220V, then a 30A breaker will give you 6-7KW of POWER. In that case your PC running at 45A and assuming high efficiency then the POWER drawn will be ~4500W (45A x ~100V at the torch). No problem…

The inverter circuit in these newer PCs is very efficient, thanks to recent developments in high power semiconductor technology and transformer design.

yah…what TomWS said…exactly

I run an Everlast 62i on a 30amp breaker…it is on a #8 wire…

This is a great starting point.

Is your breaker single thick or double thick

Breakers get old , breakers wear out and breakers malfunction.

it could just be tripping early.

Or maybe your wires undersized and things are heating up?

Here’s the electrical information for the titanium 45.

Manual Man strikes again!

1 Like

Well Im running an inverter generator. 7000 running watts and 8750 peak (Predator generator). I have the cutter plugged in to the 240v 30amp receptacle. I can use my hypertherm380 turned up to the max, no problem, but that one only pulls 14amps on 240v. The generator has breakers and GFCI protection. I think its the GFCI thats tripping and not the actual breaker.

Does your generator have an Eco idle? If so it’s always running on low and then spools up when there’s a load. it should have a switch to run it on a higher throttle so there’s not a lag.

Your resetting the ground fault interrupt at the receptacle not a breaker? just to be clear.

Predator 8750 inverter generator manual

Is the generator properly grounded as described in the manual?

It’s also discussed in the manual that the GFCI tripping issue might be related to the unit not being grounded

You can bank on that! Especially if you have a FireControl system where the grounds are all bollixed up!

1 Like

Yes it has esc switch.
And yes its just the AC reset switch Im hitting not the actual breaker switch. I grounded to copper water pipe.

I don’t know about where you’re at but where I’m at copper line turns into municipex(plastic) before it goes underground.

Or maybe some other type of hdpe pipe.

At least we’ve narrowed the problem down to the generator.

Do you have a big construction heater or an electric oven you can plug into that thing and see if it’s still pops the reset.
Ideally having another inductive load would be better than a resistive one but I doubt you have a seven and a half horse motor kicking around.

Also I could look it up in the manual but do you know off hand whether it’s a pure sine wave generator or a modified sine wave generator?

If you would have given this information in your first post it would have helped
a lot. That gen will not handle that plasma cutter. If you don’t have 240 volt power from the power company you will never get it to work right. Well unless you want to buy a sane wave gen in about 10K.

1 Like

I’ll just post a visual clue here.

images

I believe my main panel is bonded to that pipe. Ill take another look and check the guage of the wire too. I believe the generator is pure sine wave, but let me check the manual.

I think it was one of the old Miller manuals had a whole wiring schematic of how to properly ground a generator to a plasma torch I’ll see if I can take it up. But if it’s not a pure sine wave your hooped anyhow

1 Like

My first question was about breakers. I misunderstood what I had read about 30amp breakers regarding 120v vs 240v.
I know Im not gonna be able to run it at 45amps, but I should be able to run it at 30-35amps. Im not the only person using a generator and my Hypertherm 380 is now working very good on this generator, although its not pulling as many amps. Im cutting 10guage at 50ipm with the Hypertherm.

Says its pure sine wave.

Well believe me its not. 7000 sane wave gen will cost about a $6000.

So, I have a pretty good lawsuit here than, right?

I’m wondering if that’s out of all the plugs or just the 15 amp 110?